Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
An armchair is a comfortable chair with sides to rest your arms on.
But what is the name of this kind of chair which is not comfortable (it is wooden and hard usually at school) and it has a broad surface as its side on which you can write and study.
I couldn't google a picture or a definition as I needed.
Thanks,

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
An armchair is a comfortable chair with sides to rest your arms on.
But what is the name of this kind of chair which is not comfortable (it is wooden and hard usually at school) and it has a broad surface as its side on which you can write and study.
I couldn't google a picture or a definition as I needed.
Thanks,

Is that what you've been looking for?

also

Last edited:

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I couldn't load the first link of yours but the second is all right.
What is the name of this chair?
Thanks,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE they don't really have a specific name as far as I know. When I was at school, chairs were made of wood and if I saw one now, I would simply say "Oh look, it's an old school chair". We have office chairs but they come in a variety of styles - some have arms, some don't, some have wheels, some don't. It's possible that someone who works in the area of chair production or sales might know some specific terminology but nothing springs to mind for me.

This, for example, seems to be called an "office training chair" but I've never heard that term before today.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Oh look, it's an old school chair".
This, for example, seems to be called an "office training chair" but I've never heard that term before today.
In our language we simply refer to that as "chair with handle"
And I think nowadays you use desk (or table) with a simple wooden chair at school, yes? Do you have any picture of nowadays'?
Probably students can use lap-top or desk-top computers in classes on their table, don't they? Or maybe the computer is used only for some labs?
Thanks,

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And I think nowadays you use desk (or table) with a simple wooden chair at school, yes? Do you have any picture of nowadays?
Probably students can use lap-top or desk-top computers in classes in front of them on the table, don't they? Or maybe the computer is used only for some labs?
Thanks,

I don't think British schools have wooden chairs any more.

When I went to primary school, a classroom desk and chair looked a bit like this.
At secondary school, we had larger metal and plastic tables and chairs that looked more like this.
I think the ones with integrated writing desks like this are found at universities, but I don't think junior or secondary schools use them.

In the UK, most schoolchildren are expected to do their homework on a computer and certainly some classrooms have a desktop/laptop computer for each child but I don't think all classrooms are exclusively computer-based yet.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What is the name of this chair?

I googled 'student desk'. Interestingly, the images I got had different captions: 'student chair with tablet arm', 'tablet-armchair desk', 'folding tablet arm chair ', 'student armchair with folding pad/ writing board'. Don't you think it gives the impression of freedom to call this piece of furniture whatever you like?

It's possible that someone who works in the area of chair production or sales might know some specific terminology but nothing springs to mind for me.

The descriptive nature of those captions obviously implies that such naming has more sense for furniture manufacturers. In terms of informal usage, the item itself doesn't seem to be of great importance to have a special name. Quite the contrary - the less it's mentioned the better. At least that's how things are in my language/culture. Things could be different in English though.

Status
Not open for further replies.