Unhappy what does it mean by "Context"?

I have just finished a story titled "The Mindset of Health" which is about how mind affects one's health status. And there are several parts whose meaning is not clear to me. Again I need your help.

1.Mind/body split is a premature pshychological commitment--what does it mean? Can i interpret premature commtment as careless belief?

2. Each outside influence (on our health) is mediated by context--what does it mean? Especailly what does context mean here?
    if we accept preconceived notions of the context of a particular situation.... here again what does context mean?

3. sometimes for the sake of out health, we need to place our perceptions intentionally, that is, mindfully in a different context. what does this sentence mean? what is the exact meaning of mindfully and mindless?

4. Context influences out basic needs. what does it mean by needs? and what does this sentence mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: what does it mean by "Context"?

I'd say that the context would be all the circumstances of the particular case- geographical location, economics, availability of resources, cultural factors that might have an impact, etc. Context would affect basic needs as the list of what basic needs were would vary, despite certain fixed things ike nutrition, from context to context- the basic needs in a resource-limited rural setting would not be the same as those required for participation in a city in a highly developed setting.

I am afraid that the first one escapes me- I don't get it.

Unhappy Re: what does it mean by "Context"?

I really appricate your kind explanation, which is a great help for me. Anyway, regarding the first question, let me add a few more sentneces.

.. We take our physical problems to one sort of doctor, our mental problem to another. But the mind/body split is not only one ofour strongest beliefts, it is a dangerous and premature psychological commitment.

Here again, what does the sececond clause mean? And can I interpret commitment as belief?

Again waitng for your reply!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: what does it mean by "Context"?

I would say that it is like an assumption- we commit ourselves to the idea that this problem is physical and that one mental, while the reality is less clear-cut.