Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello native English speakers!

Can someone of you please check my English summary? This is for my thesis of my high school, and my native languague is Dutch. So it could happen that not all the sentences are perfectly English!

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Gynnad

-----

Summary

This thesis is a summary of all activities during my graduation assignment at Philas, Rotterdam. Philas is a small company that is specialized in websites. This thesis offers an insight in the different parts of the assignment. The implementation of the assignment will also be discussed.

Philas uses a Content Management System for developing websites. This system is called dotCMS. In order to customize the websites for their clients, Philas uses plug-ins. These plug-ins use the dotCMS API and give the site additional functionality. The dotCMS API makes it possible to use functions of dotCMS. This has many advantages, but also an inconvenient disadvantage. When dotCMS releases a new version of the Content Management System, the problem could occur that the dotCMS API has been changed. This change of the dotCMS API will cause some of the plug-ins to not work properly. Philas has over 60 plug-ins, so it would take too much time to test the functioning of the plug-ins manually. Because of this problem the idea originated to develop an automatic test environment that will test if the plug-ins deploy properly. This test environment will also check the functionality of the plug-ins through unit testing.
Before the project started, there was more knowledge acquired about dotCMS and the developing of plug-ins. This was done by using the book "dotCMS From the Ground Up" by Michael Fienen. The development of a plug-in consisted of improving the CustomLogin Plugin. After the step of learning more about dotCMS and developing the plug-in was finished, the investigation could start. In the investigation the question was asked if it is useful to set up a test environment. It was also examined which test environment would be the best suitable for Philas. After finishing the investigation it could be concluded that it is useful for Philas to set up an automatic test environment. Philas has so many plug-ins and dotCMS comes with a new version of dotCMS so often that it is useful to set up a test environment. Jenkins was chosen as automatic test environment, because it has the same or even more functionality than other test environments, and it is free to use. The only costs for Philas would be the working hours.
After the investigation was concluded, the realization of the concept started. In this concept the plug-ins are automatically tested by unit testing in Jenkins. These tests start automatically when a newer version of the plug-ins is placed into Subversion. The only thing what the user has to do, is go to the webpage of Jenkins and watch the results of the tests.

wezell

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try this:

This thesis is a summary of all activities performed during my graduation assignment at Philas, Rotterdam. Philas is a small company that is specializes in websites and website development. This thesis offers insights in the different parts of the assignment. The implementation of the assignment will also be discussed.

Philas uses a Content Management System for developing websites. This system is called dotCMS. In order to customize the websites for their clients, Philas uses plug-ins. These plug-ins use the dotCMS API and give the developed sites additional functionality. The dotCMS API makes it possible to use functions of dotCMS. This has many advantages, but also a significant disadvantage. When dotCMS releases a new version of the Content Management System, problems often occur due to changes in the dotCMS API. These changes to the dotCMS API cause some of Philias' custom developed plug-ins to break. Philas has over 60 custom plug-ins, so it would take too much time to test the functioning of all the plug-ins manually. Because of this problem, the idea originated to develop an automatic test environment that will test if the plug-ins deploy properly. This test environment will also check the functionality of the plug-ins through unit testing.

Before the project started, it was necessary to learn about dotCMS and the developing of plug-ins. This was done by reading the book "dotCMS From the Ground Up" by Michael Fienen. Developing a dotCMS plug-in in this case consisted of improving the CustomLogin Plugin. After learning about the dotCMS and how to develop plug-ins, further investigation and discovery into the assignment could start. In this process, the question was asked if it is useful to set up a test environment, and if a testing environment was useful, which test environment would be best suitable for Philas? After finishing the investigation it was concluded that a testing environment should be set up; Philas has so many plug-ins and dotCMS releases a new version of the software so often that it would be extremely useful to set up a test environment. Jenkins was chosen as automatic test environment, because Jenkins was found to offer more functionality than other similar test environments with the additional benift that it is free to use. The only costs for Philas would be the working hours.

After the investigation was concluded, the implementation of the project began. In the implementaion, the plug-ins are automatically deployed and unit tested by Jenkins. These tests start automatically when a newer version of the plug-ins is placed into source control, in this case, Subversion. The only thing what the user has to do is go to the webpage of Jenkins and watch the results of the tests.

Hello native English speakers!

Can someone of you please check my English summary? This is for my thesis of my high school, and my native languague is Dutch. So it could happen that not all the sentences are perfectly English!

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Gynnad

-----

Summary

This thesis is a summary of all activities during my graduation assignment at Philas, Rotterdam. Philas is a small company that is specialized in websites. This thesis offers an insight in the different parts of the assignment. The implementation of the assignment will also be discussed.

Philas uses a Content Management System for developing websites. This system is called dotCMS. In order to customize the websites for their clients, Philas uses plug-ins. These plug-ins use the dotCMS API and give the site additional functionality. The dotCMS API makes it possible to use functions of dotCMS. This has many advantages, but also an inconvenient disadvantage. When dotCMS releases a new version of the Content Management System, the problem could occur that the dotCMS API has been changed. This change of the dotCMS API will cause some of the plug-ins to not work properly. Philas has over 60 plug-ins, so it would take too much time to test the functioning of the plug-ins manually. Because of this problem the idea originated to develop an automatic test environment that will test if the plug-ins deploy properly. This test environment will also check the functionality of the plug-ins through unit testing.
Before the project started, there was more knowledge acquired about dotCMS and the developing of plug-ins. This was done by using the book "dotCMS From the Ground Up" by Michael Fienen. The development of a plug-in consisted of improving the CustomLogin Plugin. After the step of learning more about dotCMS and developing the plug-in was finished, the investigation could start. In the investigation the question was asked if it is useful to set up a test environment. It was also examined which test environment would be the best suitable for Philas. After finishing the investigation it could be concluded that it is useful for Philas to set up an automatic test environment. Philas has so many plug-ins and dotCMS comes with a new version of dotCMS so often that it is useful to set up a test environment. Jenkins was chosen as automatic test environment, because it has the same or even more functionality than other test environments, and it is free to use. The only costs for Philas would be the working hours.
After the investigation was concluded, the realization of the concept started. In this concept the plug-ins are automatically tested by unit testing in Jenkins. These tests start automatically when a newer version of the plug-ins is placed into Subversion. The only thing what the user has to do, is go to the webpage of Jenkins and watch the results of the tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.