Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi there.

I was taught that the plural of person is people, and that it is incorrect to use persons. However very often I come across with sentences using persons, like the one below (to set a context)

Generally persons who have never worn glasses are more easily improved than those who have, and glasses should be discarded at the beginning of the treatment.

Are both ways acceptable? Interchangeable?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there.

I was taught that the plural of person is people, and that it is incorrect to use persons. However very often I come across with sentences using persons, like the one below (to set a context)

Generally persons who have never worn glasses are more easily improved than those who have, and glasses should be discarded at the beginning of the treatment.

Are both ways acceptable? Interchangeable?

Thank you.

As a general rule, use "people". "Persons" is used quite a lot in legal wordings and in some contexts (like the one above) it's acceptable though unusual. I would have used "people" in your example.

If you look at the metal panel inside a lift (elevator) you will see that it gives the maximum number of people which can safely fit in the lift. In the UK, it will read "MAX: 8 PERSONS".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
See also the Similar Threads below.

The advantage of giving your threads good titles is that the system finds links to previous discussions of the topic.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.