• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Pay a month salary to resign.

Which word can be used in the case where we have to pay our one or two month salary for resigning from job?

I have to pay my one month salary If I want to resign immediately.
    Last edited by david11; 04-Jun-2012 at 15:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Pay a month salary to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    Which word can be used in the case where we have to pay our one or two month salary for resigning from job?
    Nowadays I am getting more confused about whether I am asking questions correctly.

So, please tell me whether my question is okay or you prefer another way of asking it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Is this a normal thing where you are from?

"Forfeit" is probably the word you want. You must forfeit one month's salary if you want to resign immediately.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Is this a normal thing where you are from?
    It is quite normal here.They even demand to forfeit three months salary. Isn't it common in U.S?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

(Not a Teacher)

Not that I'm aware of. Having to pay someone to quit your job seems bizarre to me. Usually, you get severance pay when you quit or get fired.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic9000 View Post
    (Not a Teacher)

Not that I'm aware of. Having to pay someone to quit your job seems bizarre to me. Usually, you get severance pay when you quit or get fired.
    It is reversal when the organisation fires you.They have to pay the money if prior intimation is not given two or three months before. You don't have to pay if you inform the company about your plan for resignation two or three months in advance(Period varies for different organisations). The system is to discourage people from quitting the job suddenly because it may creat stagnation of work till another person is appointed for his/her post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    It is quite normal here.They even demand to forfeit three months salary. Isn't it common in U.S?
    Two weeks' notice is customary in the US before leaving a position. You collect whatever salary you are due for the time you work, plus any money for unused vacation/sick time.

You would need to have a special contract in place to have any penalties for leaving a position early. This would not be the case for usual workers, who mostly work without a contract (or under a labor union contract in certain cases).

Maybe some higher level executive would have contract terms dealing with their dismissal or voluntary leaving of the position. Many executives have pre-arranged terms for when they are fired, to avoid negotiation/litigation. They know when they are fired they will get x amount of money and they will make no fuss.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't really see how they can make you pay one/two months' salary for wishing to resign on the spot. Unless when you started the job, they didn't pay you for the first two months and then, if you walk out without any notice, they just don't pay you for those two months. Otherwise, the logical thing to do would be to wait until the day you've been paid, and then just resign and walk out the next day. They can't remove money from your bank account so they wouldn't be able to force you to pay them the equivalent of a month's salary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I don't really see how they can make you pay one/two months' salary for wishing to resign on the spot. Unless when you started the job, they didn't pay you for the first two months and then, if you walk out without any notice, they just don't pay you for those two months.

That is not same in all cases. People are usually started getting paid from the second month itself(i.e the salary of the first month).Therefore, they can, atmost, be due for only a month salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Otherwise, the logical thing to do would be to wait until the day you've been paid, and then just resign and walk out the next day. They can't remove money from your bank account so they wouldn't be able to force you to pay them the equivalent of a month's salary.
    They are smarter than us.They get our certificates at the time of the appointment.So, the certificates will be in thier possession while we work there.If you are in any executive level, then you may face some legal problems.
    Last edited by david11; 04-Jun-2012 at 17:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

As the others have said, unless your contract includes some sort of a "signing bonus" that you have to return if you don't work for the company for the term stated, it would be illegal to withhold someone's pay for hours actually worked for failing to give notice. And very few people have employment contracts.

By law, you must pay people for the time they work. Having to return bonuses is another matter.

We don't have work certificates, so we don't have to worry about our employers keeping documentation that we would need for future work.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast