Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which word can be used in the case where we have to pay our one or two month salary for resigning from job?

I have to pay my one month salary If I want to resign immediately.

Last edited:

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which word can be used in the case where we have to pay our one or two month salary for resigning from job?

Nowadays I am getting more confused about whether I am asking questions correctly.

So, please tell me whether my question is okay or you prefer another way of asking it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this a normal thing where you are from?

"Forfeit" is probably the word you want. You must forfeit one month's salary if you want to resign immediately.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is this a normal thing where you are from?

It is quite normal here.They even demand to forfeit three months salary. Isn't it common in U.S?

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Not that I'm aware of. Having to pay someone to quit your job seems bizarre to me. Usually, you get severance pay when you quit or get fired.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
(Not a Teacher)

Not that I'm aware of. Having to pay someone to quit your job seems bizarre to me. Usually, you get severance pay when you quit or get fired.

It is reversal when the organisation fires you.They have to pay the money if prior intimation is not given two or three months before. You don't have to pay if you inform the company about your plan for resignation two or three months in advance(Period varies for different organisations). The system is to discourage people from quitting the job suddenly because it may creat stagnation of work till another person is appointed for his/her post.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is quite normal here.They even demand to forfeit three months salary. Isn't it common in U.S?

Two weeks' notice is customary in the US before leaving a position. You collect whatever salary you are due for the time you work, plus any money for unused vacation/sick time.

You would need to have a special contract in place to have any penalties for leaving a position early. This would not be the case for usual workers, who mostly work without a contract (or under a labor union contract in certain cases).

Maybe some higher level executive would have contract terms dealing with their dismissal or voluntary leaving of the position. Many executives have pre-arranged terms for when they are fired, to avoid negotiation/litigation. They know when they are fired they will get x amount of money and they will make no fuss.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't really see how they can make you pay one/two months' salary for wishing to resign on the spot. Unless when you started the job, they didn't pay you for the first two months and then, if you walk out without any notice, they just don't pay you for those two months. Otherwise, the logical thing to do would be to wait until the day you've been paid, and then just resign and walk out the next day. They can't remove money from your bank account so they wouldn't be able to force you to pay them the equivalent of a month's salary.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't really see how they can make you pay one/two months' salary for wishing to resign on the spot. Unless when you started the job, they didn't pay you for the first two months and then, if you walk out without any notice, they just don't pay you for those two months.

That is not same in all cases. People are usually started getting paid from the second month itself(i.e the salary of the first month).Therefore, they can, atmost, be due for only a month salary.
Otherwise, the logical thing to do would be to wait until the day you've been paid, and then just resign and walk out the next day. They can't remove money from your bank account so they wouldn't be able to force you to pay them the equivalent of a month's salary.

They are smarter than us.They get our certificates at the time of the appointment.So, the certificates will be in thier possession while we work there.If you are in any executive level, then you may face some legal problems.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As the others have said, unless your contract includes some sort of a "signing bonus" that you have to return if you don't work for the company for the term stated, it would be illegal to withhold someone's pay for hours actually worked for failing to give notice. And very few people have employment contracts.

By law, you must pay people for the time they work. Having to return bonuses is another matter.

We don't have work certificates, so we don't have to worry about our employers keeping documentation that we would need for future work.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As the others have said, unless your contract includes some sort of a "signing bonus" that you have to return if you don't work for the company for the term stated, it would be illegal to withhold someone's pay for hours actually worked for failing to give notice. And very few people have employment contracts.

By law, you must pay people for the time they work. Having to return bonuses is another matter.

We don't have work certificates, so we don't have to worry about our employers keeping documentation that we would need for future work.

Is it not normal to have a contract of employment in the US, Barb?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it not normal to have a contract of employment in the US, Barb?

No, it's not normal. Unionized workers work under a contract, as do some other higher-level executives. Then there are people who work as "independent contractors" who are not employees, but rather contract to work for a given company under certain terms.

But the average worker, whether at McDonald's or working as an accountant or engineer, works without a contract. There is, of course, labor law which governs hiring and firing. And one can sue for wrongful termination or claim discrimination or such in a court of law. So companies do not fire on a whim, they make very sure they follow proper procedures.

All that said, yes, the basis of labor law in most of the states in the US is that companies can hire and fire at will.

I can leave for a better job at any time, and my company can likewise decide it doesn't need my services.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is bit unfair.Isn't it?

Unfair to whom? It's not like they are insisting on confiscating my salary if I try to leave.

The free market works. If I am not producing value for my company, I expect to be let go. If somebody else values my services more, I can leave.

It's where employees produce little or nothing because they can't be fired that economies stagnate.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Unfair to whom? It's not like they are insisting on confiscating my salary if I try to leave.

The free market works. If I am not producing value for my company, I expect to be let go. If somebody else values my services more, I can leave.

It's where employees produce little or nothing because they can't be fired that economies stagnate.

Unfair to employee. Business are meant for making profits but even there should be some concern for the employees on humanitarian ground.For an example, I am working in an bakery and I am capable of making 10 breads per day.My only means of living is that the money I get from there.what if suddenly I am dismissed, the next morning itself, from job just merely because they found someone who can prepare 11 breads per day.What am I going to do for my living till I find a new job?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are now moving into a realm of social discourse and away from vocabulary and grammar.

If you don't have any further questions about terminology, let's close the thread.

However, as a grammar point, "loaves of bread" but not "breads."

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, people who work with no contract are called "casual workers". They can leave without giving any notice but, by the same token, the company can fire them on the spot. However, I believe that if an employee thinks that they have been fired unfairly or for spurious reasons, they might be able to take the company to court for unfair dismissal. In the first three months of a job, you can be fired for no reason whatsoever!

Many companies do have a contractual arrangement with their employees which lays out the rights and responsibilities of both parties. In the Civil Service, the agreement was one months' notice on either side, so when I resigned I had to work for one more month after handing in my resignation. By the same token, if they wanted to dismiss me, unless it was for professional misconduct, they had to let me work for another four weeks after telling me I was fired.

There are many different terms for people who work with a contract (fixed-term, permanent etc).

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We are now moving into a real of social discourse and away from vocabulary and grammar.
"

Please explain the phrase real of.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

emsr2d2