Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello,

What is the American word for a noteebook that students have at school in which they write their homework?

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it's an "exercise book" or a "notebook", but the former was more common when I was at school.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not an answer -I don't speak the language. But in Br Eng it's an 'exercise book'.

[Many years ago, when schoolboys (there was no such thing as a schoolgirl at the time) used to write roughly in a 'rough book' and then copy it, using a fountain pen) into their 'copybook'. This gives us the iidiom 'blot your copy book'. We still use the idiom (to mean 'make an obvious and gross mistake, when you're supposed to be on your best behaviour), although there's no such thing as a 'copy book' any more.]

b

PS https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/blot+your+copybook.html

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are talking about plain paper, then it would be a notebook.

Students in elementary school often have "workbooks" for different subjects, like math, where problems are printed and the student has to solve the problems. Each page is perforated and can be removed from the book, to be given to the teacher for grading.

sondra

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I didn't make myself clear, sorry. I mean the notebook in which a teacher marks good or bad behavior of a student and which parents have to sign weekly.

Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We have no such thing.

sondra

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
My Russian-English dictioanry says it is 'school record book'. But you don't use it either, do you?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Teachers keep a grade book, or at least they did when I was in school. Report cards are issued periodically, and it is these that the parents have to sign.

Many schools use their websites to keep parents informed about their child's progress.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We have no such thing.

That makes me wonder, how do the parents know that their child misbehaved? Or maybe in a minor case of misbehavior, it could be overlooked, but what if it happens often or when it is something more serious? For example, when the kid gets into a fight two times in one week, or when they forget their textbooks regularly? When the child swears often etc.? Surely they cannot call their parents every time something like that happens, or can they?

sondra

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
So I can use 'grade book', then. Do students write their homework assignments in the Report cards? I suppose they do so in their 'grade books'.

Thanks

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
No. Who keeps the grade books is the teachers, and from this grade book the school periodically (in my country the RC are issued every three months) issues the report cards.
The students do their homework in their workbooks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes me wonder, how do the parents know that their child misbehaved? Or maybe in a minor case of misbehavior, it could be overlooked, but what if it happens often or when it is something more serious? For example, when the kid gets into a fight two times in one week, or when they forget their textbooks regularly? When the child swears often etc.? Surely they cannot call their parents every time something like that happens, or can they?

If a student causes trouble, a note is sent home to the parents. Or the parent is contacted in some other way. For persistent problems, the teacher would schedule a meeting with the parent.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many schools have an assignment book. The students write down their short- and long-term assignments in them.

We don't have "grade books" for students - the teachers have grade books to record the grades/marks they assign.

Report cards are issued once every marking period (we get four a year here) and students don't write anything on them. In the younger grades, parents would sign the report cards; that doesn't happen in the upper grades.

We don't monitor their day-to-day behavior with the same degree of attention, apparently. For minor behavior issues, the teacher simply handles it. The student might have to miss recess, for example, or instead of enjoying lunch with their friends, might have sit in the classroom with their teacher.

The teacher can send a note home with the student that the parent has to sign.

The teacher or the principal can call the parents.

If the situation is serious, the parents might be called in for an in-person meeting.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So I can use 'grade book', then. Do students write their homework assignments in the Report cards? I suppose they do so in their 'grade books'.

Thanks

The teacher writes in the grade book. Not the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.