Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the morning after I get up, I make my bed. In the evening before I get into bed, I make ready by spreading and arranging the sheets and covers neatly. What do we call this action? Also 'make my bed'?

Many thanks in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could use turn down.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Arranging the covers neatly, with them pulled up to or over the level of the pillows, is "making the bed". If you "turn down the bed" then you take either one corner of the top covers or both top corners and you pull them neatly down, revealing some of the bottom sheet, mainly to air the lower sheet for a few moments before getting in.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Very interesting. I know other meanings for turn down, but I'd never know it could also mean to prepare the bed to sleep.

Thank you!;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fancy hotels will offer a "turn down service" where they will do this, and maybe bring you a nice cookie or chocolate as well.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My nighttime rituals is far simpler. Try to get into bed without disturbing the cats.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My nighttime rituals is far simpler. Try to get into bed without disturbing the cats.

I know the term, but turning down beds is like ironing sheets and socks- something my grandmother did. Hope the cats don't get disturbed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At a lovely hotel I stayed at in Sri Lanka, the staff went round each bedroom at about 9pm, turned down each bed and scattered flower petals all over the bedcovers. It was a really nice touch.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks so much for all your kind and also very interesting replies. Just now I was reading LONGMAN'S COMMON MISTAKES IN ENGLISH (2002) when I came across this phrase again (in Entry 399):

to make a bed (= to prepare the bed for sleeping on).

Then does 'make a/the/my bed' have another meaning (=turn down the bed)?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At a lovely hotel I stayed at in Sri Lanka, the staff went round each bedroom at about 9pm, turned down each bed and scattered flower petals all over the bedcovers. It was a really nice touch.

That does sound lovely, but all things considered, if I could choose between having flower petals in my hotel room and a cat, I'd take the cat. Don't know why mammal rentals aren't a service offered at the big chains. :)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Thanks so much for all your kind and also very interesting replies. Just now I was reading LONGMAN'S COMMON MISTAKES IN ENGLISH (2002) when I came across this phrase again (in Entry 399):

To "make a bed", or "make up a bed", is to put sheets, blankets, pillows and perhaps a top cover or eiderdown (duvet) on the bed so it is suitable for sleeping in. A properly made bed often has the top covers pulled all the way up over the pillows.
To "turn down a bed" is to partly turn down the cover/eiderdown to reveal the blankets underneath and then, as emsr2d2 says, usually turn down the corner of the blanket(s) and top sheet as well.
So, to make a bed and turn down a bed are not the same.

not a teacher

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I might add that to "make up a bed" often means to start from the beginning with maybe only a bed frame and mattress, and to prepare it from there. To "make a bed" more often means to tidy up a bed that already has blankets, sheets etc and has been slept in.

not a teacher

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't know why mammal rentals aren't a service offered at the big chains. :)

:scatter:

That's me sneezing at the very thought of being offered a cat in a hotel.:shock:

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you again.
'Make + <possessive_pronoun> + bed' does have another meaning- a metaphorical one, nothing to do with turning down beds. It's an abridged form of the proverb 'As you make your bed, so must you lie on it' - meaning you have to suffer the consequences of your own actions. People will often say something like 'He's made his bed...' [=he deserves what he's going to get: another idiom that means the same is '[It] serves him right'.]

b

Status
Not open for further replies.