Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I often see that you use "I would say.....", "I would do that". What do they mean? Why don't we use "will" instead? What is the difference between "would" and "will"?
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I often see that you use "I would say.....", "I would do that". What do they mean? Why don't we use "will" instead? What is the difference between "would" and "will"?
Thanks.

In those examples "would" is conditional. "If I were asked, I would say..." "If I were to do something, I would do that".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks.
Hi trueheart, this was thrashed to death and beyond a few times earlier in the year, revived, and thrashed again. But unfortunately the good answers given then can't be retrieved because "would" can't be searched for. This is a real pity. It's a waste of the exhaustive (and exhausting) replies given back then.
I would encourage you though to do a search for poster 'keannu' between Feb - March, 2012 and manually look through the threads for "would" in the title. You will get some useful hits.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi trueheart, this was thrashed to death and beyond a few times earlier in the year, revived, and thrashed again. But unfortunately the good answers given then can't be retrieved because "would" can't be searched for. This is a real pity. It's a waste of the exhaustive (and exhausting) replies given back then.
I would encourage you though to do a search for poster 'keannu' between Feb - March, 2012 and manually look through the threads for "would" in the title. You will get some useful hits.
"Would" can be searched for by using this trick: www.google.com/search?q=site:usingenglish.com+"would"

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
and beyond a few times earlier in the year, revived, and thrashed again. .

Does the sentence in red mean more than few times? If yes, then can we use many times or quite number of times to mean that?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does the sentence in red mean more than few times? If yes, then can we use many times or quite number of times to mean that?
No. The phrases are "to death and beyond" and "a few times".
"to death and beyond" - Not only did we thrash it to death, we thrashed it beyond death. This is often referred to as "thrashing a dead horse". It means doing something beyond the point where it still useful to do it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Would" can be searched for by using this trick: www.google.com/search?q=site:usingenglish.com+"would"

You can also search for previous threads like this:

Go to the very top of the page and click on Search ​next to 'Google Custom Search'.

When 'Google Custom Search' appears again, type would in the long empty box and then Search again.

(Before the forum was 'improved' we only needed one step to do this rather than two.)

Rover​

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
(Before the forum was 'improved' we only needed one step to do this rather than two.)

I have asked the webmaster to look into that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.