Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Imagine that your friend talks about the dangers of computers and recommend you not to use them to protect yourself from radiation. However, anyone knows that today it's almost impossible to avoid using them. Thus, you don't like the advice, because you think that your friend pays too much attention to this issue and you say... What would you say in such a situation? I know this phrase in my native language, but I could not translate it into English. That phrase in Azerbaijani is something that you would not tell to strangers, because it is a little impolite, but that's okay to tell it to friends and family members. I'm just wondering what I can say in such a situation in English.

Thanks.

ieltsonly

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are lots of things you could say in this situation. I would tend to avoid using taboo language in another language because it is so easily misused. You might say any of the following:

Mind you own business.
Get a life.
Whatever.
(look up the appropriate hand gesture on Google :lol: )
Tell it to the hand because the face isn't listening.
(hold the palm of your hand up in front of your friend's face when you say this.)

All of the above are a lttle impolite and you would need to have a good relationship with your friend to use them without causing upset. :oops:

You could aslo just say this:

Thanks for worrying about me. I'll keep your warning in mind in future.

I hope this helps.
Stephen
http://www.ieltsonly.co.uk

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can always say "thank you for sharing your concerns."

Note that "tell it to the hand" is seen my many as VERY rude, not just "a little impolite."

Status
Not open for further replies.