Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When people repeat their threads because they are not satisfied or got the required information, moderators use one word and ask them to do that instead of repeating the thread. What is that word?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Duplicate?

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Duplicate?

No.I am not trying to say that. Duplicating means asking the same question but in a new thread.I am referring to the word(or a phrase) which means saying something like I haven't got the answer I wanted.(Boost the thread, may be like this )

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
As you are suggesting "boost the thread", then perhaps you mean "bump". This is when a new post is added to the thread just to move it back to the front of the forum.

not a teacher

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As you are suggesting "boost the thread", then perhaps you mean "bump". This is when a new post is added to the thread just to move it back to the front of the forum.

not a teacher

That is the word. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies. I misread your question and thought you wanted another word for what people do when they ask the same question twice.

Yes, "bumping" is a common and very annoying way for people to push their own post to the top of a thread in any forum. Some people at least have the decency to pretend that they have made a valid extra comment by adding some information or an extra question in order to push the post up. Others are more brazen and actually simply write "BUMP" as a comment and post it.

However, that would not have fitted your original question. You said "When people repeat their threads because they are not satisfied or got the required information, moderators use one word and ask them to do that instead of repeating the thread. What is that word?"

Moderators don't ask people to bump threads. They ask them not to bump threads and not to repeat their question either. They usually ask them to be patient and wait for a response.

Last edited:

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I misread your question and thought you wanted another word for what people do when they ask the same question twice.

Thank you, emrs2d2, for adding this in your reply.I was about to start a thread asking what is the correct way to ask this question.

Moderators don't ask people to bump threads. They ask them not to bump threads and not to repeat their question either. They usually ask them to be patient and wait for a response.
[/QUOTE]

No.I have seen one of the moderator using this word(I have seen him using it twice but still I forgot the word:oops:).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. I have seen one of the moderators using this word (I have seen him (or her) using it twice but still I forgot the word:oops:).

If you can find one of those threads, I would like to see it. I have never seen a moderator suggest that someone bump a thread - the practice usually attracts disapproval.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
If you can find one of those threads...

I think 5jj used the term when he posted on a thread a while ago. He said he was bumping it because he felt the OP's question deserved to be looked at again by members, if I recall.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think 5jj used the term when he posted on a thread a while ago. He said he was bumping it because he felt the OP's question deserved to be looked at again by members, if I recall.

Yes. You are right.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, so the moderator bumped the thread for a very good reason. I thought you meant that one of the moderators had been suggesting that users bump their own threads if they were unhappy with the responses or thought they'd waited too long for a response.

This makes more sense now. :up:

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
OK, so the moderator bumped the thread for a very good reason.

No. The moderator didn't bump the thread but he asked(in fact, suggested)the thread stater to do it.

(What difference does it make if the moderator bumps or the thread starter bumps the thread when it is done for a good reason.)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
No. The moderator didn't bump the thread.

In the case I'm thinking of 5jj did bump the thread and used that term in his post. There was a follow-up query by another person asking the meaning of "bump" in this context, which I replied to. That's why I remember it.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the case I'm thinking of 5jj did bump the thread and used that term in his post. There was a follow-up query by another person asking the meaning of "bump" in this context, which I replied to. That's why I remember it.

That maybe an another thread but not what I am referring to.He closed the new thread(the duplicated one) after suggesting to bump the old one.

(Do we have to use the word bump when we are bumping the thread. Technically, even if I post "I haven't understood your replies" it bumps the thread. Doesn't it?)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That mayspacebe anno spaceanother thread but not what I am referring to.He closed the new thread(the duplicated one) after suggesting[STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] bumping the old one.
I closed the new thread, because it can be very confusing if we have two threads on exactly the same topic. I bumped (or suggested bumping - I can't remember) the old one, because I felt that it was a topic that was worth drawing to the attention of others.
(Do we have to use the word bump when we are bumping the thread. Technically, even if I post "I haven't understood your replies" it bumps the thread. Doesn't it?)
We use the word 'bump' only if we need to talk about the act of bumping as a means of pushing a post to the top of the list. By adding this post, I have bumped the thread. As it is, however, a genuine response to your questions, I don't think anyone would feel the need to call it bumping. However, if there are no further posts and, two days from now you post "Thank you, it's clear now", I shall probably PM you to ask you not to bump your threads in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.