• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Is it right to use such expressions as "invest into","finding solutions"?

I think the verb "invest" should be followed by preposition "in", and "finding solutions" sounds really awkward to me.

Doesn't it sound really unnatural to use expression like "invest into" and "finding solution" in sentence 1?
    And if this sentence has any grammatical error or strange expressions please give me some proofreading or correction.
    (I don't also know the difference in two words between the proofreading and the correction.)

1."You'd better say that nations all over the world are strugging to make the situation right by investing a lot of budget into finding solutions."

-------I changed the mistyped word "investigate" into "invest". Sorry
    Last edited by eggcracker; 06-Jun-2012 at 16:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Is it right to use such expressions as "investigate into","finding solutions"?

The verb investigate is followed by a noun, such as 'the crime' or 'the murder'.

Your sentence uses the verb invest, which means

1 put money into financial schemes, shares, or property with the expectation of achieving a profit.
    (COED)

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: Is it right to use such expressions as "investigate into","finding solutions"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    The verb investigate is followed by a noun, such as 'the crime' or 'the murder'.

Your sentence uses the verb invest, which means

(COED)

Rover
    Then, what does "finding solution" mean? Is it right to just understand "finding solution" as "solution"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    Then, what does "finding solution" mean? Is it right to just understand "finding solution" as "solution"?
    It does use in, hiding in the word 'into'. What they are investing in is the finding of solutions [[actually, the research and development required for solutions to be found].

I'm not a great fan of this sort of 'into', but to my ear it makes the investment continuous; instead of just investing a lump sum in research, they also make recurrent investments to ensure the development of solutions.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It does use in, hiding in the word 'into'. What they are investing in is the finding of solutions [[actually, the research and development required for solutions to be found].

I'm not a great fan of this sort of 'into', but to my ear it makes the investment continuous; instead of just investing a lump sum in research, they also make recurrent investments to ensure the development of solutions.

b
    Thank you for helping me to reach the understanding of those words.
    By the way, can I use "finding" as a adjective? I've thought "finding" is used as a noun in archaeological things or experimental things.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Investing a lot of budget" sounds odd to me. You could have a large budget or a small budget. I don't think you can have a lot of budget.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "Investing a lot of budget" sounds odd to me. You could have a large budget or a small budget. I don't think you can have a lot of budget.
    Is it right if I change the original into sentence below?
    You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by having a lot of budget into finding solutions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by having a lot of budget into finding solutions.
    No, "having...into" doesn't work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by budgeting a lot for solution finding.