[Grammar] Is it right to use such expressions as "invest into","finding solutions"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Is it right to use such expressions as "invest into","finding solutions"?

I think the verb "invest" should be followed by preposition "in", and "finding solutions" sounds really awkward to me.

Doesn't it sound really unnatural to use expression like "invest into" and "finding solution" in sentence 1?
And if this sentence has any grammatical error or strange expressions please give me some proofreading or correction.
(I don't also know the difference in two words between the proofreading and the correction.)

1."You'd better say that nations all over the world are strugging to make the situation right by investing a lot of budget into finding solutions."

-------I changed the mistyped word "investigate" into "invest". Sorry:lol:

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Is it right to use such expressions as "investigate into","finding solutions"?

The verb investigate is followed by a noun, such as 'the crime' or 'the murder'.

Your sentence uses the verb invest, which means

1 put money into financial schemes, shares, or property with the expectation of achieving a profit.
(COED)

Rover

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Re: Is it right to use such expressions as "investigate into","finding solutions"?

The verb investigate is followed by a noun, such as 'the crime' or 'the murder'.

Your sentence uses the verb invest, which means

(COED)

Rover
Then, what does "finding solution" mean? Is it right to just understand "finding solution" as "solution"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Then, what does "finding solution" mean? Is it right to just understand "finding solution" as "solution"?
It does use in, hiding in the word 'into'. What they are investing in is the finding of solutions [[actually, the research and development required for solutions to be found].

I'm not a great fan of this sort of 'into', but to my ear it makes the investment continuous; instead of just investing a lump sum in research, they also make recurrent investments to ensure the development of solutions.

b

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

It does use in, hiding in the word 'into'. What they are investing in is the finding of solutions [[actually, the research and development required for solutions to be found].

I'm not a great fan of this sort of 'into', but to my ear it makes the investment continuous; instead of just investing a lump sum in research, they also make recurrent investments to ensure the development of solutions.

b
Thank you for helping me to reach the understanding of those words.
By the way, can I use "finding" as a adjective? I've thought "finding" is used as a noun in archaeological things or experimental things.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Investing a lot of budget" sounds odd to me. You could have a large budget or a small budget. I don't think you can have a lot of budget.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

"Investing a lot of budget" sounds odd to me. You could have a large budget or a small budget. I don't think you can have a lot of budget.
Is it right if I change the original into sentence below?
You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by having a lot of budget into finding solutions.​

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by having a lot of budget into finding solutions.​

No, "having...into" doesn't work.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You'd better say that nations all over the world are struggling to make the situation right by budgeting a lot for solution finding.

Status
Not open for further replies.