Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #1

    Is it okay to put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    Is the sentence still okay if I put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    In the end only three points separated the two teams.(original sentence)

    ->In the end, only three points separated the two teams.(okay?)

  2. CarloSsS's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 629
    #2

    Re: Is it okay to put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    NOT A TEACHER

    I would say that it is not OK without the comma and that you should always put a comma after "in the end" in sentences like that.
    Please note that I'm not a teacher.

  3. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #3

    Re: Is it okay to put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloSsS View Post
    NOT A TEACHER

    I would say that it is not OK without the comma and that you should always put a comma after "in the end" in sentences like that.
    Thank you CarloSsS. Would you give me more explanation about when should I put comma or not put comma?
    If there's any grammar rule for this. I'd be really glad to know something more.

  4. CarloSsS's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 629
    #4

    Re: Is it okay to put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    Thank you CarloSsS. Would you give me more explanation about when should I put comma or not put comma?
    If there's any grammar rule for this. I'd be really glad to know something more.
    NOT A TEACHER
    You are welcome. Using commas in English is too complex a topic to explain it here. I suggest you buy a textbook that explains the usage of commas in English sentences (or maybe just google it). There are some rules, but sometimes the usage of comma is not mandatory and it is up to the writer to decide whether or not they want to use a comma.
    Please note that I'm not a teacher.

  5. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #5

    Re: Is it okay to put comma(,) after "In the end"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloSsS View Post
    NOT A TEACHER
    You are welcome. Using commas in English is too complex a topic to explain it here. I suggest you buy a textbook that explains the usage of commas in English sentences (or maybe just google it). There are some rules, but sometimes the usage of comma is not mandatory and it is up to the writer to decide whether or not they want to use a comma.
    Hey!! (^ー^)ノ
    I found really good site for understanding usage of comma. If you are also interested in usage of comma, click the url below.

    Rules for Comma Usage

Similar Threads

  1. Doubt! "Upper end" "Later teens to mid-twenties"
    By BRENOIRONMAIDEN in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2011, 02:00
  2. Is it necessary to put comma after the word "currently"
    By heather s in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2011, 14:04
  3. "in the end" "finally" "eventually"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Feb-2008, 13:15
  4. verbs that have the same "end sound" as "garage"?
    By Catherine C. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-May-2006, 07:16
  5. Is it necessarily to put a comma before the word "too&q
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2003, 10:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •