Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does this "foreign governments" mean exporters' government or importers' government?
2. I'm sorry I may lack of economic knowledge, but free trade seems to encourage dumping or something, but this seems to saying "dumping" is against free trade, what's the truth?
3. What does this "charges" mean? The translation goes "judgement", but I think it's "fees", I'm not sure.

ex)The practice of selling a product in a foreign market at a price lower than it commands in the producer's domestic market is called dumping. Critics of free trade often argue that foreign governments give substantial support to their own exporting companies. Government support may permit these firms to extend their export markets by offering lower prices abroad. In retaliation for this interference with free trade, the United States adds import tariffs to products that foreign firms dumpo on U.S market to bring their prices in line with those of domestically produced products. However, businesses often claim that charges of dumpings must undergo a lengthy investigative and bureaucratic procedure before the government assesses import duties....

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. Does this "foreign governments" mean exporters' government or importers' government? The governments of the exporting countries.
2. I'm sorry I may lack of economic knowledge, but free trade seems to encourage dumping or something, but this seems to saying "dumping" is against free trade, what's the truth? Free trade encourages dumping but dumping is against the spirit of free trade (allegedly).
3. What does this "charges" mean? The translation goes "judgement", but I think it's "fees", I'm not sure. It means "allegations".

ex)The practice of selling a product in a foreign market at a price lower than it commands in the producer's domestic market is called dumping. Critics of free trade often argue that foreign governments give substantial support to their own exporting companies. Government support may permit these firms to extend their export markets by offering lower prices abroad. In retaliation for this interference with free trade, the United States adds import tariffs to products that foreign firms dumpo on U.S market to bring their prices in line with those of domestically produced products. However, businesses often claim that charges of dumpings must undergo a lengthy investigative and bureaucratic procedure before the government assesses import duties....

Bhai.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Free trade is supposed to be about the companies in my country competing equally with the companies in your country. Now, if your country's government gives money to companies in your country that allows them to sell in my country "at a loss" then that is "dumping" and is not fair to the companies in my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.