• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Help for one question

I really need your help.Please help me.The following is a question form a test book.It is an error identification question

When we handed the money we(A)(had found), we asked that it(B)(should) be given to(C)(whomever) comes back and claims it.(D)(No error)

In the answer it writes that there is no error,but i still think that whomever is inappropriate and i think we must use the subject form-whoever.So please somebody tell me why in this sentence whomever is correct and why whoever is wrong?

Thank you very much i really need your help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help for one question

Quote Originally Posted by merrick999 View Post
    I really need your help.Please help me.The following is a question form a test book.It is an error identification question

When we handed the money we(A)(had found), we asked that it(B)(should) be given to(C)(whomever) comes back and claims it.(D)(No error)

In the answer it writes that there is no error,but i still think that whomever is inappropriate and i think we must use the subject form-whoever.So please somebody tell me why in this sentence whomever is correct and why whoever is wrong?

Although you will hear/read "whoever" in sentences such as this, grammatically it should be "whomever" because the objective form should follow the preposition, "to".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Although you will hear/read "whoever" in sentences such as this, grammatically it should be "whomever" because the objective form should follow the preposition, "to".
    One could argue that, grammatically, it should be 'whoever', because the the subjective form should precede the verb of which it is the subject.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    One could argue that, grammatically, it should be 'whoever', because the the subjective form should precede the verb of which it is the subject.
    I must side with merrick999's "text book", that is "no error".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

And I would say "to he who comes back for it" if we had to expand, not "him whom comes back" so I'd go with "whoever" myself.

So, just shows that questions like this can confound native speakers and really, no one would notice either one.

I'd had that it was probably "handed IN" not just "handed" and that the use of the past perfect is not needed.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merrick999 View Post

I'm with the "whoever" group. However, I'm not keen on the construction of the sentence at all:

Original: When we handed in the money we had found, we asked that it should be given to whomever comes back and claims it.
    I prefer: When we handed in the money we [had] found, we asked that it be given to whoever first came back and claimed it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everybody who answered.Now I think that could it have any chance the real answer to be C,not no error and test book to be mistaken