Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all
Who knows which one is correct? Light music or lite music?

Thanks a lot.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Light" is the traditional, proper way to spell the word, but "lite" is a commercially accepted alternative.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Up to now, I've only heard of lite in relation to low-calorie and low-fat food and beverages — aimed at people trying to lose weight.

I'm very fond of light music, and hate the thought that it's going to be called anything else.

Rover

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Up to now, I've only heard of lite in relation to low-calorie and low-fat food and beverages — aimed at people trying to lose weight.

Interesting. I didn't even know up until now that lite was in fact a proper word. (Diet coke is spelt "Cola Light".) But apparently it is indeed:
lite / laɪt / adjective [ usually before noun ]

especially American English used in the names of some food or drink products to mean that they have fewer calorie s or less fat than other similar products : lite beer

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

However, I really don't see the need to spell "light" as "lite". Why the need to spell words differently all of sudden?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, I really don't see the need to spell "light" as "lite". Why the need to spell words differently all of sudden?

There isn't a need, and the mangling of the language hasn't happened all of a sudden. It's just cutesie, eye-catching gimmickry by advertisers and commercial concerns to draw attention to their products, like Kozy Kabins, Chick-fil-A and Krispy K​reme.

Does the same thing not happen in Dutch, Chicken Sandwich?

​Rover

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
… "lite" is often used now in various contexts to mean "diluted", "superficial", "ersatz".

A few grabs from COCA:

Before the kidnapping, I viewed the organization as a form of Al Qaeda lite.
Still, compared with past hijinks, this is Lohan lite.
"It's a settlement lite," Moti says somewhat jokingly. "It's not like moving to East Jerusalem."
This stuff he peddles – a little Taoism, a little Buddhism, a little this, a little that – it's sort of Zen lite.

not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I think it may have been coined by analogy with 'nite', which is pretty common in collocations like 'nite club/spot/...'. This 'abbreviation' pre-dates SMS by many years, but I wouldn't be surprised if SMS helped.

In the context of this thread - especially with reference to soft drinks - I was initially thrown by JMurray's mention of COCA. ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've heard 'MA lite' used of some modern MA degrees by people who remember what an MA used to involve some years ago.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Does the same thing not happen in Dutch, Chicken Sandwich?

Not that I'm aware of.

People do use shortened versions of words, for example in text messages, but these words never find their way into dictionaries. One example would be, "thnx" instead of "thanks", and "plz" instead of "please".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't even know up until now that
lite was in fact a proper word.

It might be in the dictionary, but I wouldn't use it in formal writing.

Miller Lite was the first (or one of the first) "lite" beers. It was originally "Lite Beer from Miller" and I am sure the misspelled word aided in getting the name trademarked.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People do use shortened versions of words, for example in text messages, but these words never find their way into dictionaries. One example would be, "thnx" instead of "thanks", and "plz" instead of "please".
This could be (only a thought) because the publishers of English dictionaries appear to me to be rather less prescriptive than the publishers of dictionaries in many other languages. If a 'word', or the spelling of a word, appears to be used, then English (-speaking) lexicographers record it. They may, or may not, add a note that it is 'informal' or 'slang' or even 'taboo'. they may, personally, loathe it; they see their job as noting 'words' that are used. Pedants often express horror at the 'acceptance' of certain forms by dictionaries, but 'acceptance' means only that it exists.

Just one crude example - most dictionaries now (rightly, in my opinion) include the words f...k, c..t, n.g..r, because some, perhaps many, use them. The fact that they appear in dictionaries does not mean that it is safe to use them in polite circles. English dictionaries record what is said/written, not what should be said/written.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I was initially thrown by JMurray's mention of COCA.

I don't think a serious student of the language would bother with COCA Lite.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't think any serious student of the language should use the spelling "lite". It's horrible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Dictionaries are not in a rush to put transient words into the publications. The OED, apparently, included squarial for a square satellite dish and the company was bought out a few weeks after publication. There's no point in including words that will be dead in a short time.

However:

Definition of thx | Collins English Dictionary
thx - definition. American English definition of thx by Macmillan Dictionary
THX - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Hooman:

I believe that before World War II, an American newspaper publisher pushed for simplification of English spelling.

I believe that some of his suggestions were:

lite (for "light")
nite (for "night")
thru (for "through")

But people become accustomed to spelling in a certain way and are reluctant to change.

As you know, people in the United States love their cars. So they can drive to a restaurant and order food without

leaving their cars. We refer to the "drive-thru window." You park your car in front of that window, pay your money,

get your food, and drive away. I think that "drive-through" would look weird because we are accustomed to "drive-thru."

Simplification is not going very well. Today most people spell the word "catalog," while we senior citizens still

insist on "catalogue."

Of course, many Americans cannot understand how Brits spell "jail" as "gaol"!

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had no idea that any Americans of any age spelt "catalogue" correctly! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.