• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

And

Gulags 501 and 503 were created specially for the railway and every 6-8 miles (10-12km) along the track there were camps.

Prisoners built their own wooden barracks but the unlucky ones in the front units had to take shelter in canvas tents.
    "You think it's cold now but it's spring," says Lyudmila.
    "In winter the temperature can go down to -50 Celsius. Just imagine working in that. And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

Some guards used the insects to inflict merciless punishments

--------------

Is it fine to write Ď And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes.í
    You donít start a sentence with Ďandí. I havenít learn to write ĎAndí at the beginning of a sentence.

The sentence is meaningless too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: And

Quote Originally Posted by Tina3 View Post

Gulags 501 and 503 were created specially for the railway and every 6-8 miles (10-12km) along the track there were camps.

Prisoners built their own wooden barracks but the unlucky ones in the front units had to take shelter in canvas tents.
    "You think it's cold now but it's spring," says Lyudmila.
    "In winter the temperature can go down to -50 Celsius. Just imagine working in that. And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

--------------

Is it fine to write ‘ And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes.’
    You don’t start a sentence with ‘and’. I haven’t learn to write ‘And’ at the beginning of a sentence.

The piece is quoting direct speech. When people talk, they don't think about the grammar or the niceties of the written word. The person probably said "Just imagine working in that ... (pause) and, in the summer, the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

And you can start a sentence with 'and' if you wish.

It's not usually a good idea to do so, and I don't recommend it, but it's not a hanging offence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

--------------

Is it fine to write ‘ And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes.’ You seem to be asking here, but...
    You don’t start a sentence with ‘and’. ...here you seem to be in no doubt that it's wrong.https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/e...34&do=editpostI haven’t learn to write ‘And’ at the beginning of a sentence. I think you have probably learnt not to (which is different).

Some authorities say you shouldn't; many other authorities disagree. And [I'm one of them ] in any case what you call 'meaningless' isn't a sentence.

b

PS I'm not sure why the author bothered to specify 'Celsius'. Above -40, Fahrenheit has a higher number for the same temperature: e.g. 212 deg. F deg. =100 deg. C. So for extreme tempereratures in our normal experience we specify 'Celsius' as a reinforcer: 'The heat was really sapping - in the mid 40s Celsius'

But for temperatures below -40, 'Celsius' is not a reinforcer. -50 deg. Celsius is pretty chilly, but it equals -58 deg. Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by BobK; 11-Jun-2012 at 10:21. Reason: Added to PS

5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

BobK would like to know meaning of a meaningless sentence.

For me, the following sentence is meaningless one. Becase I know very little English.
    And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

For me, the following sentence is meaningless one. Becase I know very little English.
    Bob did not appear to me to be wanting to know the meaning of a meaningless sentence. He merely noted that it was not a sentence.

As ems pointed out, it's not meaningless: "The piece is quoting direct speech. When people talk, they don't think about the grammar or the niceties of the written word. The person probably said "Just imagine working in that ... (pause) and, in the summer, the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

As I said in my original reply, I think the speaker probably said
    "Just imagine working in that ... (pause) and, in the summer, the terrible heat, the mosquitoes."

So the speaker is asking the listener to imagine first what it must be like to work in temperatures of -50, and then to imagine the extreme heat and the mosquitoes which exist in the same place in the summer.

The words "And in the summer the terrible heat, the mosquitoes" would be meaningless if it were not for the fact that we have the rest of the speaker's words and the context. Because we have all of that, it is not meaningless.