Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know which one of the 2 following sentences is correct ?

1. The standard lamp is getting outmoded , and so too is the incandescent light bulb , Edison's miraculous invention
THAT USES so much energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs.

2. The standard lamp is getting outmoded , and so too is the incandescent light bulb , Edison's miraculous invention
USING so much energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs.

I feel that the first one is right .That would be the sentence I would use ... But why not the second one ? Can anyone please clarify which one is right ? And the reason why it is right (grammatically)..

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would like to know which one of the 2 following sentences is correct ?

1. The standard lamp is getting outmoded , and so too is the incandescent light bulb , Edison's miraculous invention
THAT USES so much energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs.

2. The standard lamp is getting outmoded , and so too is the incandescent light bulb , Edison's miraculous invention
USING so much energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs.

I feel that the first one is right .That would be the sentence I would use ... But why not the second one ? Can anyone please clarify which one is right ? And the reason why it is right (grammatically)..

Welcome to the forums, hellother. I'm afraid neither of your sentences is correct.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi hellother,

Where did you get these sentences from?
"
THAT USES/ USING so much energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs". I believe there's an error there. Does Edison's miraculous invention uses as much energy as the new... or uses much more energy than...?

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello ,
Thanks for taking time to reply ...
Could you please explain why both are wrong ?

Because the answer to the question is choice 1 , according to the solution given in the book (though I don't know why ) . The statement here says that both the standard lamp and the incandescent light bulb ,( Edison's miraculous invention THAT USES / USING so much energy than the NEW low wattage halogen bulbs ) are getting outmoded .... and being replaced by the NEW low watt halogen bulbs ... Please read the statement with and without the parenthesis ...and solve the question ...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello ,
Thanks for taking time to reply ...
Could you please explain why both are wrong ?

Because the answer to the question is choice 1 , according to the solution given in the book (though I don't know why ) . The statement here says that both the standard lamp and the incandescent light bulb ,( Edison's miraculous invention THAT USES / USING so much energy than the NEW low wattage halogen bulbs ) are getting outmoded .... and being replaced by the NEW low watt halogen bulbs ... Please read the statement with and without the parenthesis ...and solve the question ...

"1. The standard lamp is getting outmoded , and so too is the incandescent light bulb , Edison's miraculous invention
THAT USES so much more energy than the new low-wattage halogen bulbs."

Now it's OK.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is "the standard lamp" if not an incandescent bulb?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But the new curlicue bulbs fit in the standard lamps, so they're not outmoded.

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello there ,

Yes... You are right ... I did not notice I typed it wrongly...... Sorry... It is " so much MORE (as it is a comparison)" ... But why can we not use the 2nd option (ie) " USING " in the place of "THAT USES" ? Any views on that ?This is in present tense...
The standard lamp IS GETTING ....... so we can use USING right , because it is also in present tense .... Isn't there a rule in English that a sentence must have the same tense throughout the sentence ( from the beginning till the end ) ??

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Isn't there a rule in English that a sentence must have the same tense throughout the sentence ( from the beginning till the end ) ?
There is no such rule despite some people's belief that there is. Now that I have written that, I will go and make a cup of coffeee as I usually do at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.