Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Failed to understand "spite of pride, in erring reason's spite". Please rewrite it in plain English.

Context:

Safe in the hand of one disposing Pow'r,
Or in the natal, or the mortal hour.
All Nature is but Art, unknown to thee;
All chance, direction, which thou canst not see
All discord, harmony not understood,
All partial evil, universal good:
And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite,
One truth is clear, whatever is, is right.

Full context

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
By the way, it's "Pope's" not "the Pope's".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a poetic convention - using 'spite' instead of 'despite; and it separates 'in spite [of]' for reasons of meter. And - now I come to think of it - perhaps that "in" is required to operate on the first "spite", in typical Miltonic compressed syntax (is it Milton?*); when "'spite" is used as an abbreviation of 'despite' it usually has an apostrophe (if the poet knows or cares).

So the penultimate line means 'And, regardless of [-in spite of] pride, in spite of what reason (which can be mistaken) says.'' He could, by 'erring', mean that reason always and necessarily is wrong, but I doubt it.

b

PS*I hadn't seen bhai's comment when I wrote this ;-)

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's a poetic convention - using 'spite' instead of 'despite; and it separates 'in spite [of]' for reasons of meter. And - now I come to think of it - perhaps that "in" is required to operate on the first "spite", in typical Miltonic compressed syntax (is it Milton?*); when "'spite" is used as an abbreviation of 'despite' it usually has an apostrophe (if the poet knows or cares).

So the penultimate line means 'And, regardless of [-in spite of] pride, in spite of what reason (which can be mistaken) says.'' He could, by 'erring', mean that reason always and necessarily is wrong, but I doubt it.

b

PS*I hadn't seen bhai's comment when I wrote this ;-)

Thank you.
Failed to understand the underlined.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does " by 'erring'" mean?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK. Something that's erring makes mistakes. But the -ing form in the poem doesn't make it clear whether Pope thinks that 'reason' can sometimes make mistakes or ['always and necessarily'] can only make mistakes (which is quite a bleak view: 'anything that is the result of reasoning has to be wrong - rather than trying to think "What is the right think to do?" we should simply listen [to someone or something].'

b

PS I've just thought that the problem word may be 'reason'. It's nothing, here, to do with 'cause and effect'. Pope is using it to refer the faculty of rational thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.