Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Do you think that "The Daughter of Baroness" nice and neat -- and common English -- as a book title? A freelance editor said me that I've used it incorrectly and my book is failed from the top title. But she didn't say the right form. What else I can say for it? Baroness' Daughter or The Daughter of the Baroness?

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think that "The Daughter of Baroness" nice and neat -- and common English -- as a book title? A freelance editor said me that I've used it incorrectly and my book is failed from the top title. But she didn't say the right form. What else I can say for it? Baroness' Daughter or The Daughter of the Baroness?

I would use "The Baroness' Daughter".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You definintely need an article. However, if she's the daughter of a Baroness, is she not also the daughter of the Baron?
I think "The Baron's Daughter" is neater and avoids the messy Baroness's.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you think that "The Daughter of Baroness" is nice and neat -- and common English -- as a book title? A freelance editor [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] told me that I've used it incorrectly and that my book title is incorrect [STRIKE] is failed from the top title.[/STRIKE] but she didn't [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] tell me the [STRIKE]right[/STRIKE] correct form. What else [STRIKE]I can[/STRIKE] can I [STRIKE]say for it[/STRIKE] call it? "Baroness' Daughter" or "The Daughter of the Baroness"?

Your title is not correct English as it stands. You need one of the following:

The Daughter of the Baroness
The Daughter of a Baroness
The Baroness' Daughter
A Baroness' Daughter

I have made some corrections to your post in red above.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
No, her father is a penniless and adventurer Irishman. :D Only her mother is a Baroness. According to Dutch aristocrasy, a daughter or a son in a baronial family, borns with title. (not from the wikipedia but some North Europeans told me like that.) I mean, she was Baroness even when she was maiden.

Last edited:

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What is difference with the "a" and "the"? The main character is the daugter, and the Baroness second main and important character. Reader will knows her well. Which should I use then? A or the?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "the."

Unless other Baronesses will be in the story.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, her father is a penniless [STRIKE]and adventurer Irishman[/STRIKE] Irish adventurer. Only her mother is a Baroness. [STRIKE]According to[/STRIKE] In the Dutch aristocra[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]cy, a daughter or a son in a baronial family, is born[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] with a title. (not from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] wikipedia but some Northern Europeans told me [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] that.) I mean, she was a Baroness even [STRIKE]when she was maiden[/STRIKE] though she was not married to a Baron.

Status
Not open for further replies.