Could you correct this short paragraph about the beginning of the movie 'El Dorado'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could you correct this short paragraph about the movie 'El Dorado'.

In 1519 in one port (is it better 'harbour'?) of Spain, Hernán Cortés is prepared to go to The New World.
In another part of the city, two people, Julio and Miguel, arrest warrant by the police are playing with fake dices.
Suddenly the police find them, but they run and run and hide in one of the Cortes's ships.

Thanks in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi teachers,

In 1519 in one port (is it better 'harbour'?) of Spain, Hernán Cortés is prepared to go to The New World.
In another part of the city, two people, Julio and Miguel, arrest warrant by the police are playing with fake dices.
Suddenly the police find them, but they run and run and hide in one of the Cortes's ships.

Thanks in advance.

In 1519 in one of the ports in Spain, Hernán Cortés is ready to go to the New World.

Do you mean that the police (did they have police in Spain in 1519?) are looking for Julio and Miguel? Do you know the name of the port?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Do you mean that the police (did they have police in Spain in 1519?) are looking for Julio and Miguel? Do you know the name of the port?
Hi,
Thank you for your help. Actually, it is a composition done by one of my students. I have already corrected it and I posted my correction. It's funny I also had the same question in my mind. Were there police officers already in Spain? If yes what were they called? Sorry I don't know the name of the port. I'll ask her about it.

I have found this article:
Population: 275,000, County: Nueces
In 1519, on the Roman Catholic Feast Day of Corpus Christi, Spanish explorer Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda discovered a lush semi-tropical bay on what is now the southern coast of Texas. The bay, and the city that later sprung up there, took the name of the feast day celebrating the "Body of Christ."

XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Maintaining a safe community is a major priority for the city. The Police and Fire Departments have established state-of-the-art communications systems and work closely with the county, the Local Emergency Planning Committee and industries to be on top of any emergency situation. The Corpus Christi Crime Control and Prevention District, which uses sales tax revenues to fight crime, has in recent years enabled the city to increase its police force, equipment and support personnel, especially targeting youth and neighborhood initiatives. In addition, the city's emergency medical services are ranked number one in the state, excelling in response time and patient survival rates.

Learning

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sure that Corpus Christi, Texas has police today. The question is did 16th Century Spain?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I am sure that Corpus Christi, Texas has police today. The question is did 16th Century Spain?
In 1516 at the age of 25, Íñigo de Loyola was appointed the new Viceroy of occupied Navarre commanding several thousand troops. At the commencement of his appointment, he was especially bloody with hundreds of the rebels rounded up by his troops and secret inquisitors and executed. Upon his appointment, Íñigo commissioned his military lieutenant Alfonso Salmeron from Toledo to begin his grand plan of a new Spanish citadel at Pamplona that would be impregnable to attack.
But it was Viceroy Íñigo de Loyola's invention of the concept of a "professional police force", both in terms of hierarchy, strict code of conduct, law and order and counter espionage that would be one of his most historic and relatively unknown contributions to civilization.
In order to control a largely hostile population with limited resources, Íñigo commissioned his most trusted head of the secret police Francisco Xavier- also originally of Navarre - to follow a strict instruction or "rule" by which secret police would pledge their total unquestionable devotion and even to sacrifice their "self" in order to assume the role of both secret soldier, protector and assassin of "enemies of the state" by living amongst the people, rather than in barracks.

L.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,

Thanks in advance.

In 1519 in a Spanish port (the name would be better), Herman Cortes is ready to travel to The New World. In another part of the city, two men, Julio and Miguel, who are wanted by the police (I assume this is what was meant), are playing with fake dice ("dice" is the plural). Suddenly, the police find them, but they run away (better than run and run) and hide in one of (no article required) Cortes' ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.