Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How to improve spoken English? I am not a native speaker but I wish to speak like a native English speaker fluently.

Is there any books that will improve spoken English?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, kk22. :hi:

If you look at the bottom of this page, you will see a number of 'Similar Threads' in which this question has been asked before. You may find the responses helpful.

kk22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
can anyone suggest me some books to improve English language?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please read the reply you have already been given.

Hien Tran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Me too. Even my boss is an Aussie. He speaks English very clearly. However, my speaking skill is still bad.:oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What opportunities do you have to speak?

kk22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What opportunities do you have to speak?

I almost have no opportunity to speak in English. That's why I would like to read a lot of good English books that would be interesting to read at the same time it would improve my English knowledge. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I almost have no opportunity to speak in English. That's why I would like a lot of good English books that would be interesting to read as well as would improve my English knowledge.

Books will be of little help.

If you want to speak like a native speaker, you meed as much exposure as possible. Listen to tv programmes, podcasts etc. Aural input is the best possible input. By listening, you not only learn how real English sounds, you also learn the vocabulary, grammar etc. Here's a good podcast that I can recommend Welcome to English as a Second Language Podcast

kk22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Books will be of little help. If you want to speak like a native speaker, you meed as much exposure as possible. Listen to tv programmes, podcasts etc. Aural input is the best possible input. Here's a good podcast that I can recommend Welcome to English as a Second Language Podcast

thanks for the quick reply. I would look into the site. Could you recommend any great books fiction / travel books that would be interesting to read and also would let me improve my English language skills.

I wrote my IELTS and I got 6.5. I need to get 7 or 8. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
thanks for the quick reply. I would look into the site. Could you recommend any great books fiction / travel books that would be interesting to read and also would let me improve my English language skills.

I wrote my IELTS and I got 6.5. I need to get 7 or 8. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

There is no point in our recommending fiction. What you read depends entirely on what you like. I could tell you my ten favourite fiction/travel books and you might hate all of them. Find a book you enjoyed in your own language and then read the English translation. At least you will already know what happens in the book which will help your comprehension and you won't have to look up as many words.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

I can recommend a book that deals with the most common mistakes made by ESL-speakers. Check out Practical English Usage by Michael Swan. It's an excellent book, though it's not something you'd most likely read from cover to cover.

kk22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hey thanks for the site (podcast). I am listening to the podcast right now. It's nice. I will look into the book you suggested.

kk22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is no point in our recommending fiction. What you read depends entirely on what you like. I could tell you my ten favourite fiction/travel books and you might hate all of them. Find a book you enjoyed in your own language and then read the English translation. At least you will already know what happens in the book which will help your comprehension and you won't have to look up as many words.

I would like to use a lot of English words that Americans and British people use everyday. That's why I asked for books.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to use a lot of English words that Americans and British people use everyday. That's why I asked for books.

British and American people do not necessarily speak every day using the same kind of language that you find in books. If you want to see or hear how we speak, then you need to watch films, TV shows, listen to the radio and try to find just one native English speaker to converse with on a regular basis, either locally or perhaps by Skype.

Books will teach you how we write. Listening teach you how we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.