• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

the idea will not grow stale or useless

Typing this, I realized the question I was trying to ask. I was trying to ask the meaning of "the idea will not grow stale or useless or fray at the edges", and it seems like "In giving ideas, there's only gain no loss, so it's quite different from 'diminishing returns'- physical adding". Do you agree?

is43
    ex)The more you prosper, the more you can prosper. The more you invent, the more inventions become possible. How can this be possible? The world of things- of pecans or power stations - is indeed often subject to diminishing returns. But the world of ideas is not. The more knowledge you generate, the more you can generate....So for example, a bicycle is a thing and is subject to diminishing returns. One bicycle is very useful, but there is not much extra gain in having two, let alone three. But the idea 'bicycle' does not diminish in value. No matter how many times you tell somebody how to make or ride a bicycle, the idea will not grow stale or useless or fray at the edges. It gives without losing. Indeed, the very opposite happens.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: the idea will not grow stale or useless

I think you understand what it is saying. It's an incomplete picture, however.

There is loss involved in sharing ideas. That's why we have patents, to advance the knowledge of mankind by sharing inventions, but also to allow the inventor to prosper from his invention.

It does no one any good if I invest in developing a great new widget and then others copy my idea and run me out of business. I pay for the R&D and get no profit.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: the idea will not grow stale or useless

I think the writer didn't consider such loss by giving ideas for free without any patent. It just seems to mean that any creative idea will be a benefit, not losing its value even if it spreads all over.