• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Take your number

- You look a bit fatter!
    - TAKE YOUR NUMBER....
    In my opinion, the expression shows some rudeness on the part of the speaker. In another context, can this expression sound funny, for exemple, after being complimented? Can it ever sound funny?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Take your number

What is the original context? It's not particularly funny as you have written it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

I see, but I didn't refer to the first sentence (You look a bit fatter!), as it would hardly ever sound like a compliment. Let's say: "You're one of the most interesting people I've ever known!" Could I also reply "Take your number"? I'm trying to figure out what other feelings (apart from rudeness) are envolved in the reply above. I heard the expression only once, like four days ago, I'm not familiar with it.
    Last edited by beachboy; 14-Jun-2012 at 18:54.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    I see, but I didn't refer to the first sentence (You look a bit fatter!), as it would hardly ever sound like a compliment. Let's say: "You're one of the most interesting people I've ever known!" Could I also reply "Take your number"? I'm trying to figure out other feelings (apart from rudeness) are envolved in the reply above. I heard the expression only once, like four days ago, I'm not familiar with it.
    I've never heard it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    I see, but I didn't refer to the first sentence (You look a bit fatter!), as it would hardly ever sound like a compliment. Let's say: "You're one of the most interesting people I've ever known!" Could I also reply "Take your number"? I'm trying to figure out other feelings (apart from rudeness) are envolved in the reply above. I heard the expression only once, like four days ago, I'm not familiar with it.
    I think I understand now. The expression is "take a number" as one might take a little ticket with a number on it to establish one's place in line at a deli or similar store. You take a number and when your number is called, it is your turn to be waited on.

A person being harrassed might say "take a number" in a joking way to mean that you are not the first person or only person who is being served right now. The idea being that there are lots of people waiting to do the same thing. And also that I'm not going to deal with you right now.