[Grammar] Is "when you are" omitted in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I was seeing a magazine a while ago. And I'm confused now because there seems like missing words are in the sentence.

Is "when you are" left out in front of the word "using" in the sentence far below? If so, Does leaving out "when you are" make sentence more formal?

"Add instant glamour to your hair by pinning feathers or ribbons into a messy up-do. This Jason Wu look is surprisingly easy to create at home: just pin hair back in sections and add in strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips."(excerpt from magazine)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'When you are' is not omitted, and should not be added - unless you want to give a different meaning.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
'When you are' is not omitted, and should not be added - unless you want to give a different meaning.

Thank you 5jj.
But, I'm still confused.
Does ".... strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips." mean ".... strips of fabric or ribbon which uses kirby grips."?
I'm not sure whether "strips of fabric or ribbon" can use kirby grips.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"add in strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips."(excerpt from magazine)

Hi,

I see no reason why one can't use kirby grips to hold the strips of fabric or ribbon to the hair.

The only consideration that comes to my mind is how carefully you should use them (they might rip the ribbon, or tear the fabric, or....)

Greetings,

charliedeut

PS: I just posted the picture because I didn't know what "kirby grips" are; so any other member might learn that too.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those are called "bobby pins" in AmE. I'd never heard of "kirby grips."

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you 5jj.
But, I'm still confused.
Does ".... strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips." mean ".... strips of fabric or ribbon which uses kirby grips."?
I'm not whether "sure strips of fabric or ribbon" can use kirby grips.

Hi, eggcracker.
:-DIn your sentence, 'using kirby grips,' which functions as an adverbial phrase, modifies the verb 'add,'
I'm not sure if I've managed to answer your question, but I think 'using' here is similar to 'with.'
Or you could say 'by using kirby grips.'

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, eggcracker.
:-DIn your sentence, 'using kirby grips,' which functions as an adverbial phrase, modifies the verb 'add,'
I'm not sure if I've managed to answer your question, but I think 'using' here is similar to 'with.'
Or you could say 'by using kirby grips.'
Hello tzfujimino.
Perhaps "by" was left out before the word 'using' in the sentence"...add in strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips.", I suppose.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was seeing a magazine a while ago. And I'm confused now because there seems like missing words are in the sentence.

Is "when you are" left out in front of the word "using" in the sentence far below? If so, Does leaving out "when you are" make sentence more formal?

"Add instant glamour to your hair by pinning feathers or ribbons into a messy up-do. This Jason Wu look is surprisingly easy to create at home: just pin hair back in sections and add in strips of fabric or ribbon using kirby grips."(excerpt from magazine)

Nothing has been omitted but the word "by" could indeed be added before "using". The explanation could be expanded like this:

Pin your hair back in sections, and add strips of fabric or ribbon. Add those strips of fabric or ribbon by using kirby grips (to attach them (the strips) to your hair).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or even more simply: Use kirby grips to pin strips of fabric or ribbon to your hair.

(I had no idea what kirby grips were either, until now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.