Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Morocco
Hi

I tried to paraphrase the following sentences keeping the same meaning without using modals.

Could you please correct them?

Note: Please, you needn't correct the original sentences.

1. Hadn't you better check that your boss is willing to contribute more than the minimum?
= Isn't it advisable for you to check that your boss is willing to contribute more than the minimum?

2. Milk must be kept in the fridge; otherwise, it spoils.
= It is necessary for milk to be kept in thefridge; otherwise, it spoils.

3.May our team win the football world cup.
=I wish our team would win the football world cup.

4.Your certificate ought to be sent before July 1st.
= It is obligatory for your certificate to be sent before July 1st.

5. This journal had better be read in the library.
= It is advisable for this journal to be read in the library.

6. He must have found the nature of the work slow and tedious. Only eighteen months later, he became a freelance reporter.
= It is certain that he had found the nature of the work slow and tedious. Only eighteen months later, he became a freelance reporter.

7. Wouldn't you rather stay for dinner tonight?
= Isn't it preferable for you to stay for dinner tonight?

8. Virginia thinks she might have a secret, only she can't quite remember.
= Virginia thinks it is possible that she has a secret, only she is unable to remember.

Thanks a lot.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi

I tried to paraphrase the following sentences keeping the same meaning without using modals.

Could you please correct them?

Note: Please, you needn't correct the original sentences.

1. Hadn't you better check that your boss is willing to contribute more than the minimum?
= Isn't it advisable for you to check that your boss is willing to contribute more than the minimum? Same.

2. Milk must be kept in the fridge; otherwise, it spoils.
= It is necessary for milk to be kept in the fridge; otherwise, it spoils. Same.

3.May our team win the football world cup. This is more of a rallying chant,
=I wish our team would win the football world cup. whereas this is simply a desire.

4.Your certificate ought to be sent before July 1st. This is a recommendation,
= It is obligatory for your certificate to be sent before July 1st. whereas this is a requirement.

5. This journal had better be read in the library. This is a strong recommendation,
= It is advisable for this journal to be read in the library. whereas this is advice.

6. He must have found the nature of the work slow and tedious. Only eighteen months later, he became a freelance reporter.
= It is certain that he had found the nature of the work slow and tedious. Only eighteen months later, he became a freelance reporter. Same.

7. Wouldn't you rather stay for dinner tonight? The answer would depend on a personal preference,
= Isn't it preferable for you to stay for dinner tonight? whereas the answer here might depend on, or in addition to, other conditions/influences than a personal preference.
8. Virginia thinks she might have a secret, only she can't quite remember.
= Virginia thinks it is possible that she has a secret, only she is unable to remember. Same, but has Virginia had a recent head injury?.

Thanks a lot.

Homework??

pretty girl5

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Morocco
Thanks a lot.
No, it is not a homework, I'm trying to grasp modals.

Status
Not open for further replies.