Current Location
Turkey
/Astigmatism is an eye condition that ---- objects apperar blurred./

a)allows
b)lets
c)gets
d)makes
e)wants

The correct answer is "makes" but i want you to explain why not "gets" ?

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Well, the meaning we're looking for in this sentence is "to cause". This is one of "make" 's many meanings. "Get", however, does not have this meaning.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Gets could be used only if there was the preposition to --> Astigmatism is an eye condition that gets objects to appear blurred.

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
(Not a Teacher)

Well, the meaning we're looking for in this sentence is "to cause". This is one of "make" 's many meanings. "Get", however, does not have this meaning.

I thought the same but when i looked them up in cambridge dictionary i saw "gets" having the same meaning.Please examine.

get : to cause something to happen, or cause someone or something to do something

[+ adjective] She had to get the kids ready for school.

After that sentence i'm confused.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
After that sentence[STRIKE] i[/STRIKE] I'm confused.
She didn't [STRIKE]get the children go to school.[/STRIKE] However, we can say "She got the children to go to school' which means that she caused them to go. She could have done this by gentle persuasion, lies, bribes, etc, but if she made them go to school, then there was no gentleness involved.

Please remember that the first person pronoun I is always capitalised.

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
She didn't [STRIKE]get the children go to school.[/STRIKE] However, we can say "She got the children to go to school' which means that she caused them to go. She could have done this by gentle persuasion, lies, bribes, etc, but if she made them go to school, then there was no gentleness involved.

Please remember that the first person pronoun I is always capitalised.

OK.From now on I'll type it as "I" :) but your explainations are not for the sentence that I've asked.Could you say something for it.Thank you.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

"Get" in the sense that you are trying to use implies a level of coercion and enticement. A good synonym for this usage is "to convince" or "to persuade". Let's try dropping these synonyms into the sentence:

"Astigmatism is an eye condition that convinces you to see things blurred."

That's all right grammatically, but very bizarre semantically.

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
(Not a Teacher)

"Get" in the sense that you are trying to use implies a level of coercion and enticement. A good synonym for this usage is "to convince" or "to persuade". Let's try dropping these synonyms into the sentence:

"Astigmatism is an eye condition that convinces you to see things blurred."

That's all right grammatically, but very bizarre semantically.

First of all,I want to thank you for your help.According to your explainations, can we say It's more appropriate to use "get"when we try to convince or persuade someone.On the other hand,It's more suitable to use "make" when It's an object that we try to influence.

By the way,sorry for my slow understanding.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

The weirdness of using 'get' in the example sentence comes from the idea of an inanimate thing 'persuading, convincing, or forcing' you're vision to be blurred (you're vision being another inanimate thing). We strongly associate this concept with people, not objects.

At the end of all this, please remember that this is only one meaning. "Get" (and "make" as well) has a about a foot long entry in the dictionary. Sometimes, the meanings of 'make and 'get' overlap, but this isn't one of those times.

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you so much for your help.I got it.

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
(Not a Teacher)

The weirdness of using 'get' in the example sentence comes from the idea of an inanimate thing 'persuading, convincing, or forcing' you're vision to be blurred (you're vision being another inanimate thing). We strongly associate this concept with people, not objects.

At the end of all this, please remember that this is only one meaning. "Get" (and "make" as well) has a about a foot long entry in the dictionary. Sometimes, the meanings of 'make and 'get' overlap, but this isn't one of those times.

After your this last post,I was convinced.What I inferred from your all explainations was that the usage of "get"and"make"varied to the animate or inanimate things.But I came across afterwards some sentences in which "get" was used for inanimate things.

I'm trying to get this article finished for Thursday.
We get our milk delivered.

What we can say now for these sentences?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
After your this last post,I was convinced.What I inferred from your all explainations was that the usage of "get"and"make"varied to the animate or inanimate things.But I came across afterwards some sentences in which "get" was used for inanimate things.

I'm trying to get this article finished for Thursday.
We get our milk delivered.

What we can say now for these sentences?
You are trying to compare different constructions. What we say about one construction may not be true of another. So far, we have had three constructions:

She gets the children to go to school. (to- infinitive)
She gets the chilren ready. (adjective)
We get our mik delivered. (past participle - passive)

Also, SlickVic was talking of inanimate things as the grammatical subjects of one of these constructions. In your examples, the inanimate things are the grammatical objects of a different construction..

Last edited:

Scofield41

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You are trying to compare different constructions. What we say about one construction may not be true of another. So far, we have had three constructions:

She gets the children to go to school. (to- infinitive)
She gets the chilren ready. (adjective)
We get our mik delivered. (past participle - passive)

Also, SlickVic was talking of inanimate things as the grammatical subjects of one of these constructions. In your examples, the inanimate things are the grammatical objects of a different construction..

Dear teacher,thank you very much for your help.As I'm not English or don't live in a country where english is spoken, I may have difficulty in understanding.
I see that I should consider the constructions one by one as they may differ.

I think "Astigmatism makes objects appear blurred" is more apparent. Isn't it ? :)
[h=2][/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.