What does "bucking the Seinfeld curse" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wiki tells me that Seinfeld is a sitcom, so Seinfeld curse would be the Seinfeld type curse? But I have not watched the sitcom, and don't know what "bucking" means.

Context:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

'Bucking' is when an animal such as a horse jumps around violently in an attempt to throw off ("buck") a rider.

As for the Seinfeld curse, all of Seinfeld's stars have tried and failed to establish new sitcoms over the years, a long stroke of bad luck known as the Seinfeld curse.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The show Seinfeld was so successful during its run. Many (including me) consider it the greatest American comedy show ever.

The actors who stared on Seinfeld are noted for not being able to duplicate their success in their subsequent ventures. They have had shows that were short-lived and not anywhere near being "hits" or popular.

It is as if these actors are cursed. Their projects fail. They had their great success with Seinfeld and will never see success again.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is currently in a show on HBO that is having some success. So she can be said to be "bucking" the Seinfeld curse.
Bucking | Define Bucking at Dictionary.com

Definition 5

Status
Not open for further replies.