[Grammar] How to write a letter to customs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mask123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,

I am new here. Thank you at first for your coming and taking look at my question.

My friend recently wants to mail something to her family (from U.S to another country), but she was worried whether the content of the package was prohibited. Therefore, she asked me to write the following letter to customs.

I am not sure I am writing it right, especially in grammar. Could anyone of you please view it and give me some comments?

Thank you a lot!

=========================================================
Dear XXX,

My name is XXXXX. I am writing this letter to you regarding to a certified mail labeled with No: 7004 2890 0003 2902. This package contains 1.75 pounds of cultivated ginseng root, 0.5 pounds of sliced cultivated ginseng and 4 small packs of gum. There is a Cultivated Ginseng Shipping Certificate attached to this mail made by the company where I purchased them from, proving they are not wild ginseng. As well as what I have heard from the post officer, cultivated ginsengs are allowed for shipping.

This package is also a father’s day gift for my dad, and the 4 packs of gum is a small gift for my 4-year-old nephew who asked for them when last time we talked on phone.

Considering the reasons above, I mailed this gift and really hoped it would be successfully delivered to my family, making my nephew happy and my dad a wonderful father’s day.

The gift itself costs me $250.00 and $50.51 for shipping, which means a lot of money for me. If they were unfortunately prohibited from shipping, I hope they could be send back to me instead of being destroyed. Your understanding and benevolence will be deeply appreciated by my whole family.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Best Regards,

XXX XX

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

I am new here. Thank you at first for your coming and taking look at my question.

My friend recently wants to mail something to her family (from U.S to another country), but she was worried whether the content of the package was prohibited. Therefore, she asked me to write the following letter to customs.

I am not sure I am writing it right, especially in grammar. Could anyone of you please view it and give me some comments?

Thank you a lot!

=========================================================
Dear XXX,

My name is XXXXX. I am writing this letter to you regarding to a certified mail labeled with No: 7004 2890 0003 2902. This package contains 1.75 pounds of cultivated ginseng root, 0.5 pounds of sliced cultivated ginseng and 4 small packs of gum. [STRIKE]There[/STRIKE] Attached to this letter is a Cultivated Ginseng Shipping Certificate [STRIKE]attached to this mail[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] provided by the company [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] I purchased [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] the items from, proving they are not wild ginseng. [STRIKE]As well as what I have heard from the post officer, cultivated ginsengs are allowed for shipping.[/STRIKE] I understand that shipping cultivated ginseng is permitted.

This package is also a Father’s Day gift for my [STRIKE]dad[/STRIKE] father, and the [STRIKE]4 packs of[/STRIKE] gum is a small gift for my 4-year-old nephew. [STRIKE]who asked for them when last time we talked on phone.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Considering the reasons[/STRIKE] In light of the above, [STRIKE]I mailed this gift and really hoped it would be successfully delivered to my family, making my nephew happy and my dad a wonderful father’s day.[/STRIKE] I would be grateful if you would allow this package to be delivered.

The gift itself costs me $250.00 and $50.51 for shipping, which [STRIKE]means[/STRIKE] is a lot of money for me. [STRIKE]If they were unfortunately prohibited from shipping,[/STRIKE] If the package is not allowed through Customs, [STRIKE]I hope they could be send[/STRIKE] I would like to request that it be sent back to me instead of being destroyed. Your understanding and benevolence will be deeply appreciated by my whole family.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Best Regards,

XXX XX

I have made some amendments to your post above. I wish you luck but I would also add that, in my experience, Customs officials are not remotely interested in things like "It's a Father's Day present" or in how much you spent on the gift. They are only interested in the contents of the package. If it contains permitted items, it should be fine. If it doesn't, my guess is that it will be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.