• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Should "the devastation which exposing children to violence" be "the devastation..."?

Should "the devastation which exposing children to violence" be "the devastation which exposes children to violence"?

Context:

Professor Peter Fonagy, Chief Executive of the Anna Freud Centre and professor of psychology at UCL, said: "Dr McCrory's groundbreaking research has undoubtedly taken us an important step closer to understanding the devastation which exposing children to violence can leave in its wake. His exciting findings confirm the traumatic effects these experiences have on brain development.

More

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Should "the devastation which exposing children to violence" be "the devastation.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHopeR View Post
    Should "the devastation which exposing children to violence" be "the devastation which exposes children to violence"?

Context:

Professor Peter Fonagy, Chief Executive of the Anna Freud Centre and professor of psychology at UCL, said: "Dr McCrory's groundbreaking research has undoubtedly taken us an important step closer to understanding the devastation which exposing children to violence can leave in its wake. His exciting findings confirm the traumatic effects these experiences have on brain development.

More
    No. It means "the devastation which can be caused by exposing children to violence". Exposing children to violence can leave devastation in its wake.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Should "the devastation which exposing children to violence" be "the devastation.

A message to other readers. ems was able to give a helpful response to this question only because NewHopeR gave sufficient context.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No. It means "the devastation which can be caused by exposing children to violence". Exposing children to violence can leave devastation in its wake.
    The grammar is new to me. I wonder why "can be caused by" can be left out here without causing a problem for understanding.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The grammar is new to me. I wonder why "can be caused by" can be left out here without causing a problem for understanding.
    It hasn't been left out. ems was simply trying to give the sense.

"Dr McCrory's groundbreaking research has undoubtedly taken us an important step closer to understanding the devastation which something can leave in its wake." The something is exposing children to violence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"Can be caused by" hasn't been omitted. I was just using different words to explain the same thing. The original sentence included "
    step closer to understanding
    the devastation which exposing children to violence can leave in its wake."

It wouldn't make any sense to say "a
    step closer to understanding
    the devastation which can be caused by exposing children to violence can leave in its wake".

The only way I can think of rewording would be to keep all the original words but with the addition of "the act of": "a step closer to understanding the devastation which the act of exposing children to violence can leave in its wake".

Note: apologies for the appalling formatting of the post. The problems caused by cutting and pasting text still haven't been fixed.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.