[General] It would/will be nice to hear from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. I have a question about this sentence below.
"It would/will be nice to hear from him."
I've thought of "It would be~" is the expression of polite statement and "It will be~" is the expression which expecting the future. In the sentence above, does choice of word between two(would/will) make any difference in the sentence?

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

In my humble opinion I believe that, if you use WILL, then you are really expecting to hear from him, and you'll probably talk soon (perhaps you have already arranged to meet). If you use WOULD then it means that you 'would like' to hear from him.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hi,

In my humble opinion I believe that, if you use WILL, then you are really expecting to hear from him, and you'll probably talk soon (perhaps you have already arranged to meet). If you use WOULD then it means that you 'would like' to hear from him.
Thank you. BrunaBC.
I derived some similar sentences from my mind which I supposed they will mean the same as the original sentences after seeing your explanation.

Please look at these sentences:
It will be nice to hear from him.=I'm looking forward to hearing/expecting to hear from him.
It would be nice to hear from him.=I'd like to/would like to hear from him.(And if I hear from him, I would be very glad.)

Am I correctly catching the difference of "It would~" and "It will~"?

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Yes, this is how I understand it;-)

But as I'm not a native teacher, I cannot state it 100% sure. As I said (in my humble opinion).:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.