Is 'Thank you in advance' not good English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Every time I asked a question, I'd end with a 'Thank you in advance', which is in China the custom when we ask a favor of someone. I had thought it an act of politeness. But just now I was reading on a forum about the differences between 'beforehand' and 'in advance' when I came across this comment:

'By thanking someone in advance, you're essentially saying, "I really need your help, but I'm not willing to take the time to thank you properly after you've helped me". Why not just say, "I appreciate any assistance you can offer", then after they have helped you, say thanks the traditional way?'

Is 'Thank you in advance' not good English, only grammatically correct?

Many thanks (in advance?). (Sorry, if I hadn't expressed my thanks, I'd have felt I was rude!)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's grammatically correct, but completely unnecessary, and to be honest – a bit irritating.

All you need to do is click on the Like button when we reply. We all accept that as sufficient acknowledgement of our answers.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people don't like it, others don't mind. It's not that one is afraid of not being properly thanked afterwards, it is that it is presumptuous of a person to thank someone for something that they haven't done yet.

I think it is better to use other polite words, like "please" and "I will be grateful if you can..." and then save your "thanks" for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.