[Vocabulary] Use the word given in capitals at the end of each sentence to form a word that fits i

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdragon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It seems ........... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ............. (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ........... (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
Thanks for your helping me! thanks so much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, blackdragon. :hi:

In this forum we ask people to try exercises themselves before we step in. We are happy to advise, correct and explain, but we don't do the work for you.

blackdragon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It seems ..to have thought......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved........ (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
welcome all comments! thanks so much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems ..
to have thought :cross:......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure :tick:...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably :tick:......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved..:cross:...... (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.

I welcome all comments! Thanks so much!

emsr2d2

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
welcome all comments! thanks so much!
It seems ..to have thought......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved........ (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
The two I have coloured red are fine. The other two are not.

You need a single word in each gap. In both the first and the the fourth gap, you need an adjective with a prefix showing negation (such as un/im/in/ir/etc).

ps. I see that emsr2d2 beat me to it.

Last edited:

blackdragon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks so much for your correction. Please correct me again;

It seems ..
to think......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure :tick:...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably :tick:......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...solve...... (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.

I welcome all comments! Thanks so much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm afraid not. Clues to the right answers:

I find much modern poetry unreadable - too dull or too pretentious for me to enjoy reading.
My handwriting is illegible - it's so messy that you can't read it.

Words with the suffix -able (-ible) usually mean that what precedes the suffix cannot be done. Sometimes, as in unreadable, we use the English word; sometimes, as in illegible, we use the Latin word.

Status
Not open for further replies.