Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
And body language is particularly important when we attempt to communicate across cultures. Instead, what is called body language is so much a part of us that it's actually often unnoticed.

Usually, so +adjective+a+noun, can be stated as "a +adjective+noun". For example, so kind a man. We can say "a kind man".

But we seemingly cannot say " a much part of us". So how can we say "so much a part of us"? Is it a fixed pattern like "so much a +noun"?

Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And body language is particularly important when we attempt to communicate across cultures. Instead, what is called body language is so much a part of us that it's actually often unnoticed.

Usually, so +adjective+a+noun, can be stated as "a +adjective+noun". For example, so kind a man. We can say "a kind man".

But we seemingly cannot say " a much part of us". So how can we say "so much a part of us"? Is it a fixed pattern like "so much a +noun"?

Thanks!
No, it's not a fixed pattern.

"Body language is a part of us."
"How much a part of us is it?"
"It's so much a part of us that it's actually often unnoticed."

That's not idiomatic. It's a normal grammatical construction.
"Our clothing repairs are invisible."
"How invisible are they?"
"They are so invisible that they often go unnoticed."

Yes, you've identified one way of using 'so'. There are others which don't rely on the pattern you've identified.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, it's not a fixed pattern.

"Body language is a part of us."
"How much a part of us is it?"
"It's so much a part of us that it's actually often unnoticed."

As far as I know, "how much" should be followed by uncountable noun, like "how much money...".

Can it be followed by a+noun?

So you mean "How much a book have you read? " is right?

Shouldn't I say "How much of a book have you read?"

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"
How much a part of us is it?" = To what degree/extent is it a part of us?

As you can see, there are three parts to that question:

1) A part of us
2) Is it
3) How much/To what degree

With your example about the book, "How much?" means "What quantity?" not "To what degree/extent?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As far as I know, "how much" should be followed by uncountable noun, like "how much money...".

Can it be followed by a+noun?
Obviously. I've given you an example, and said that it was grammatical. I would not have done that if it was impossible.

So you mean "How much a book have you read? " is right?
No, I don't. I've already said that you can't take one use of 'so' and apply it to all. The purpose for my saying this was to prevent you making assumptions like this. Now you've taken "how much" and tried to prove my sentence wrong by showing that it's more often used in a different way.
If I wanted to be clever, I could give you: "Do you know how much a book costs?", thus proving that "how much +a noun" is probably already known to you. But we should concentrate on the sentence you're concerned with, and not get too worried that it doesn't follow the pattern of a different sentence that you aren't concerned with.

Shouldn't I say "How much of a book have you read?"
That depends on what you mean. It's grammatical.

Thanks!
So, yes, you can say "how much of a noun" and, no, it doesn't mean that you can't say "how much a noun" in the right context.
Here are some examples (none of which is invalidated by the fact that similar words can be used in different grammatical constructions) - ems has given you (and me) a hint about the grammar:

"How much an invaluable member of our team is she?" = "To what extent is she an invaluable member of our team."
"Our dog spot is so much a part of our family."
"That's not so much a book as a magazine."

Status
Not open for further replies.