Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. When some amounts of foods, money, materials can last for certain period. Is it correct to use "certain period's worth of something" or "worth" in the below? If not, please give me some corrections. I will be grateful to know about these expressions.

"They've got 6 month's worth of project money from headquarters." ="6 month's worth of project money got from headquarters is in their department."

"They've got 2 month's worth of materials such as trinkets, fabrics, threads, sequins."
="There are materials such as,........, sequins in their department. It's 2 month's worth."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're fine but you have the apostrophe in the wrong place. It's "They have six months' worth of project money" etc. "Six months" is plural so the possessive apostrophe goes after the "s".

One month's worth ...
Three months' worth ...
A year's worth ...
Ten years' worth ...

Englishholic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Jordan
hey...
I agree on that.... I also think that "valid for+period of time" could mean the same....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey,
I agree on that. I also think that "valid for+period of time" could mean the same.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you write the original sentences again using your "valid for + period of time" construction.

Please see my amendments to your post in red. One full stop is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.