Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #1

    someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    I don't think "someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds"'s active voice is "His good deeds reward someone on a team" but it is "They reward someone on a team by his good deeds". "By" here is used as a method, Isn't it?

    go1mo-40ex)People have a tendency to adopt the attitudes of those they spend time with―to pick up on their mind­sets, beliefs, and approaches to challenges. When someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds, others are likely to display similar characteristics. When a leader keeps her hope in the face of discouraging circumstances, others admire that quality and want to be like her. When a team member displays a strong work ethic and begins to have a positive impact,

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I don't think "someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds"'s active voice is "His good deeds reward someone on a team" but it is "They reward someone on a team by his good deeds". "By" here is used as a method, Isn't it?

    go1mo-40ex)People have a tendency to adopt the attitudes of those they spend time with―to pick up on their mind*sets, beliefs, and approaches to challenges. When someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds, others are likely to display similar characteristics. When a leader keeps her hope in the face of discouraging circumstances, others admire that quality and want to be like her. When a team member displays a strong work ethic and begins to have a positive impact,
    I'd say it should be "rewarded for his good deeds".

  3. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #3

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    So do you think it's an inproper expression? Do natives sometimes make a mistake in writing?

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Do natives sometimes make a mistake in writing?
    Very often.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #5

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    So do you think it's an inproper expression? Do natives sometimes make a mistake in writing?
    Do you never see errors in your native language made by native speakers/writers?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #6

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    I see them a lot in Korean, but for English, I have no strict or natural standard to judge whether it's a mistake or not, so I have a hard time judging it.

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #7

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I see them a lot in Korean, but for English, I have no strict or natural standard to judge whether it's a mistake or not, so I have a hard time judging it.
    I think we can safely say that native speakers/writers of every language in the world make mistakes.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think we can safely say that native speakers/writers of every language in the world make mistakes.
    i dont never makes misteaks!


  9. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #9

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    i dont never makes misteaks!

    Coarse u does'nt. Its a viscous roomer.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #10

    Re: someone on a team is rewarded by his good deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Coarse u does'nt. Its a viscous roomer.
    Keep the carpets away from him!

Similar Threads

  1. Team member decribtion, can anybody check for grammar so it sound good.
    By Ildus1988 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2012, 18:35
  2. Does "wrongful deeds" mean "making mistakes" here?
    By NewHopeR in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2011, 12:27
  3. rewarded for making great contributions
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2010, 15:36
  4. Awarded - Rewarded
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2006, 21:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •