Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm trying to correct a clumsy sentence and would like to know if the corrected version sounds more or less natural:

The original:
...this money is enough for renovation, but not so much that officials could steal a big sum without anyone notice it.

My try:
....this money is enough for renovation, but not so much to enable officials to steal a big part of it without anyone noticing it.

But I still don't like it. I'd be grateful for your comments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right, your version doesn't sound right. I think it's because "not so much that" is a standard phrase as used in the original sentence. Changing "that" to "to enable" doesn't work.

Nothing is enabling anything. It's just a statement of fact that there is a lot of money but there is not so much money that some of it going missing wouldn't be noticed.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm trying to correct a clumsy sentence and would like to know if the corrected version sounds more or less natural:

The original:
...this money is enough for renovation, but not [STRIKE]so much [/STRIKE] enough that officials could steal a [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE] large sum without anyone noticing [STRIKE] it. [/STRIKE] .

My try:
....this money is enough for renovation, but not [STRIKE]so much [/STRIKE] enough to enable officials to steal a [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE] large part [STRIKE]of it [/STRIKE]without anyone noticing [STRIKE]it. [/STRIKE] .

But I still don't like it. I'd be grateful for your comments.

Any better?

Last edited:

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, billmcd and emsr2d2, for your replies. I'm glad I asked here.

Status
Not open for further replies.