• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

(which were) holding me

I'm making another similar type of question after the previous thread.
    I don't know if this analysis(by others Koreans) is correct. This also makes me think ", (which were) holding me" is a shortened unrestrictive clause whose subjct is either "their arms" or "my little body", so doesn't it have to be corrected to "while they were holding me" as a participial phrase?
    If either way makes the same meaning, I would follow either analysis.

go1-4-8p
    ex)To make matters worse, my parents couldn't come near me. I greatly missed the warmth of their arms around my little body, (which were) holding me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: (which were) holding me

No. "Which were" would be unnecessary and incorrect in that context. If you want to know what has been omitted (I don't mean as an error but simply not necessary) it would be:

I missed the warmth of their arms around my little body, (while they were) holding me.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thanks a lot! As 5j told me, I also interprete Korean sentences, not bound by any limited number of categories, so I decided to interprete English sentences as they are and this will be my last question about this. What is the natural rule to tell "conjuction+subject+verb" as in 1 from "relative pronoun+verb" as in 2?
    My guess is that in 1, the subject is "their arms" making an action while in 2, the subject "the sound of the wheels" is just described by the verb, but I'm not sure.

1.To make matters worse, my parents couldn't come near me. I greatly missed the warmth of their arms around my little body, (while they were) holding me.

2. When the attendants came, I looked out through the bars of the bed. I still remember the sound of the wheels (which were) rolling down the hall, followed by the silence of the night.
    = which were followed

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan

hey,
    I think you can also say " while holding me'... I mean omitting 'they were'... as for the sound of the wheels...I also think that 'rolling' doesn't refer back to the sound but rather to the wheels themselves...since that the word 'rolling' suggests the 'mechanism' of the wheels...as for 'followed by' yes it is short for 'which were followed'... hope this helps...!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I'm sorry but you seem to have missed my point.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Englishholic View Post
    hey,
    I think you can also say 'while holding me', I mean omitting 'they were'. As for the sound of the wheels, I also think that 'rolling' doesn't refer back to the sound but rather to the wheels themselves since that the word 'rolling' suggests the 'mechanism' of the wheels. As for 'followed by', yes, it is short for 'which were followed'. Hope this helps!
    Englishholic, it's nice of you to try to help but as stated in the forum guidelines, you need to start your post by pointing out that you are not a teacher (or a native speaker). ]

Please also remember that one full stop is sufficient at the end of a sentence and the next sentence must start with a capital letter. Your constant use of three full stops followed by a lower case letter is incorrect. One exclamation mark is also sufficient.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.