• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

they

All this has been on my mind because of the talk about The Rise and Fall of Handwriting, a book by Florey. She shows in her book a deep concern about the fall of handwriting and the failure of schools to teach children to write well, but many others argue that people in a digital age canít be expected to learn to hold a pen. I donít buy it.
    I donít want to see anyone cut off from the expressive, personal associations that a pen still promotes better than a digital keyboard does. For many a biographer, part of really getting to know their subjects is learning to read their handwriting.
    What some people advocate is teaching one of the many attractive handwritings based on the handwriting of 16th-century Italy. That may sound impossibly grandóas if they want kids to learn to draw by copying classical paintings. However, they have worked in many school systems.

What does the underlined "they" refer to in the underlined sentence?

What does the underlined sentence mean?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Re: they

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    What some people advocate is teaching one of the many attractive handwritings based on the handwriting of 16th-century Italy. That may sound impossibly grand—as if they want kids to learn to draw by copying classical paintings. However, they have worked in many school systems.

NOT A TEACHER

I think that "they" refers to the teachers/some people who want kids to learn to draw by copying classical paintings. The underlined sentence means exactly what it says: these teachers have worked(= taught) in several different school systems.

Edit: what I said above is wrong, see ShootingDave's post below.
    Last edited by Chicken Sandwich; 21-Jun-2012 at 15:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan

I do agree on what chicken sandwich posted....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    All this has been on my mind because of the talk about The Rise and Fall of Handwriting, a book by Florey. She shows in her book a deep concern about the fall of handwriting and the failure of schools to teach children to write well, but many others argue that people in a digital age can’t be expected to learn to hold a pen. I don’t buy it.
    I don’t want to see anyone cut off from the expressive, personal associations that a pen still promotes better than a digital keyboard does. For many a biographer, part of really getting to know their subjects is learning to read their handwriting.
    What some people advocate is teaching one of the many attractive handwritings based on the handwriting of 16th-century Italy. That may sound impossibly grand—as if they want kids to learn to draw by copying classical paintings. However, they have worked in many school systems.

Thanks
    "They" refers to the systems of handwriting (based on the handwriting of 16th century Italy) that have been taught in some schools.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Can a teacher help me out or voice your opinion?

Thanks!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    NOT A TEACHER

I think that "they" refers to the teachers/some people who want kids to learn to draw by copying classical paintings. The underlined sentence means exactly what it says: these teachers have worked(= taught) in several different school systems.
    No one is teaching children to draw by having them copy classical painting. It says "as if," meaning the person is comparing copying old Italian handwriting as a method of learning handwriting to copying old Italian paintings as a method of learning to draw.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    No one is teaching children to draw by having them copy classical painting. It says "as if," meaning the person is comparing copying old Italian handwriting as a method of learning handwriting to copying old Italian paintings as a method of learning to draw.
    You're absolutely right, this makes much more sense. I missed "as if".