• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

to preserve it

1.Does this "preserve it" mean preserve "the great desire" or "this wonderful liveliness"? "Preserve" seems to be used for physical things, not abstract ones. The translation goes for "the great desire", but I think it's for ""this wonderful liveliness". What do you think?
    2. If he was filled with two things such as "a great desire" and "ambition", why isn't there "and" between the two? In which case is it omitted?

go1-9-1
    ex) “Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes are miracles of beauty,and I felt sad
    that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal is a masterpiece of design, and no one
    design is ever repeated. When a snowflake melts, that design is forever lost.Its beauty is gone, leaving no record behind. I became filled with a great desire to show people this wonderful loveliness, ambition to preserve it.” - Wilson Bentley

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: to preserve it

Hi,

I believe it refers, as you said, to "this wonderful lliveliness", which in turn refers back the unique design of snowflakes and their short lives, so "this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others".

Greetings,

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1.Does this "preserve it" mean preserve "the great desire" or "this wonderful liveliness"? "Preserve" seems to be used for physical things, not abstract ones. The translation goes for "the great desire", but I think it's for ""this wonderful liveliness". What do you think?
    2. If he was filled with two things such as "a great desire" and "ambition", why isn't there "and" between the two? In which case is it omitted?

go1-9-1
    ex) “Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes are miracles of beauty,and I felt sad
    that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal is a masterpiece of design, and no one
    design is ever repeated. When a snowflake melts, that design is forever lost.Its beauty is gone, leaving no record behind. I became filled with a great desire to show people this wonderful loveliness, ambition to preserve it.” - Wilson Bentley
    Hello.
    For #1, 'it' refers to 'this wonderful loveliness', I suppose. I agree with you and charlie on this point.
    For #2, I feel 'ambition to preserve it' might be in apposition to 'a great desire to show people this wonderful loveliness'.
    And this might be the reason why the author doesn't use 'and' to combine them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There probably should be an "and" there. It's certainly what he meant. He was filled with a desire to show people and with an ambition to preserve it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

1. So, SoothingDave, do you agree with the other two people that "it" refers to this wonderful loveliness not a great desire?
    2. Is "and" needed there to combine "a desire" and "an ambition"? So the two are not in apposition(same) relationship which tzfujimino said? Are "a desire" and "an ambition" same things or different ones?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

1. "It" refers to the loveliness, which is talking about the beauty which is seen in the snowflake.
    2. Apposition is a good word. He is filled with desire and ambition. Desire and ambition are two different things. Someone might have the desire to see something done, but not have the ambition to actually do it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

So did the writer make a mistake or is it a common practice not to use "and" to combine two words or phrases if the two are different?