Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
What "oil over photograph" exactly means when describing a painting?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What "oil over photograph" exactly means when describing a painting?

I have no idea. I could guess but that would be pointless.

Please give us the full context in which you saw the phrase, as well as the entire sentence it was contained in.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine it means someone took a photograph of something and then used oil paints to paint on top of the picture.

Which seems kind of like cheating.

sane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
I think I have given you more than the full context! It's from the fourth edition of the American Heritage Dictionary. Under some illustrations (especially of celebrities) it says, "oil over a photograph". For example, on page 698, under a portrait of Franco. I understand one can create a portrait following a photograph instead of a live person or model. But why will one draw or paint a portrait over a photograph? That's why I am confused. Maybe this is a technical term artistic painters use for a certain kind of art work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I have given you more than the full context! It's from the fourth edition of the American Heritage Dictionary. Under some illustrations (especially of celebrities) it says, "oil over a photograph". For example, on page 698, under a portrait of Franco. I understand one can create a portrait following a photograph instead of a live person or model. But why will one draw or paint a portrait over a photograph? That's why I am confused. Maybe this is a technical term artistic painters use for a certain kind of art work.

It might be a particular technique though I've searched a few art technique websites and can't find any mention of it. As SoothingDave said, it sounds a bit like cheating!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Status
Not open for further replies.