Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I became a gardener when I was twelve. My early intention of gardening maynot have originat from my love for nature.It was to _annoy_my parents.
At that time,we had a big yardin which a beautiful maple tree stood.But my mother often looked with doubt_atthis work of natural art. Those golden leaves seemed like tons of rubbish her,something else to ___1___!Seeing the neighbors busywith gardening,my father ever thougth it a waste of time.
At that age,I always didsomething__opposite_to whatever my parents did! If gardening were something theyfound upsetting ,I would plant a garden!
I planted some lily seeds in the yard.But theyfailed to come up.I continued to sunflower seeds and roses,Wildwith joy,I found the first rose bloom.One by one, the flowers bloomed their headsoff.___2___,I was touched by this land of wonder.
1. A. collect up B. care about C. clean up
2. A. Cheerfully B. Eventually

What do you think fits the two blanks respectively? WHY?

Thanks very much!

Jason

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Tell us what you think first.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks!

The first blank, in my opinion, doesn't make sense. So I really don't know which one to choose. And what it means.
The answer given is clean up. Why does mom say "something else to clean up"?

Both answers, I think, fit the second ones. The answer given is eventually. But why "cheerfully" doesn't fit when the author obviously was satisfied with a good harvest of flowers.

So I NEED your help and opinion.

Thanks again.

davidtao

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear Jason:
The passage you posted are taken from the cloze part of NMET Chongqing version. I don't like the item-writing style of this part actually. And I just finished glancing at your passage.
The 1st blank, in my opinion, is right if clean up was filled in. The original test paper says the end punctuation is NOT a question mark but an exclamation mark.
As to the 2nd blank, I agree with the above opinion that both of the two options seem to be acceptable. The item writer seems to design the item according to his or her own preference. And when it comes to emotional description, it is always hard to specify or designate the emotional response. SUch kind of item should deserve lots of attention and care, otherwise the item writer would be labelled too arbitrary.
FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.