• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

making irregular verbs regular

I sometimes get the past-tense form of an irregular verb wrong and put an "-ed" at the end of it. It doesn't happen often, fortunately, but it happens. I wonder what native speakers make of it.

I mean, they probably notice the mistake and smile to their inner selves over the non-nativeness of it. But I'm puzzled by the fact that their reaction to this kind of mistake seems to be different from their reaction to other mistakes of mine. That is, there is no reaction. One of my first limericks on this site (and ever) was this:

A man seeked a flat in the center;
    His mien was as if of inventor:
    His shirt was dishevelled,
    In liquor he revelled--
    A very reliable renter!

Usually, the native speakers on this site are kind enough to correct the mistakes in my attempts at rhyming, which I appreciate very much. But in this case, two native speakers liked my post and there were no comments. Similarly, in a recent verse, I used "sticked in" where "stuck in" should be used (I think) and the exact same thing happened. In general, I think I remember only one time when someone corrected me when I made this kind of mistake, here and elswhere. I wonder why. I think it must be a pretty glaring mistake. Is it because such a mistake seems too embarrassing to comment on, while other mistakes don't? Or does it seem too little of a mistake to mention it?
    Last edited by birdeen's call; 23-Jun-2012 at 15:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: making irregular verbs regular

Well, firstly limericks are supposed to be funny, so it's legitimate to use such "mistakes".
    The other thing is that such mistakes are normal in children. (I forget the details; any summary of first language acquisition of English in children will tell you). Children first learn the past tenses of the very common verbs (which are mostly irregular); then they learn how to make regular past tenses; and they then often regress to say "Today, I goed to kindergarten", even though they have already learnt "went". Finally, they cope with the fact that there are two ways of making the past tense.

Maybe we ignore it because usually when we hear/see it, it's a transitional form which usually sorts itself out?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Maybe we ignore it because usually when we hear/see it, it's a transitional form which usually sorts itself out?
    Thanks, I didn't think of that. It's probably not going to sort itself out in my case if it hasn't done it so far despite my sincerest efforts, but while there's life, there's hope.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Well, firstly limericks are supposed to be funny, so it's legitimate to use such "mistakes".
    The other thing is that such mistakes are normal in children. (I forget the details; any summary of first language acquisition of English in children will tell you). Children first learn the past tenses of the very common verbs (which are mostly irregular); then they learn how to make regular past tenses; and they then often regress to say "Today, I goed to kindergarten", even though they have already learnt "went". Finally, they cope with the fact that there are two ways of making the past tense.

Or the add the new "trick" to the old words and you get "wented."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I think that's the answer.

I seed in that site an odd verse;
    I thunk that the tense-forms was worse
    Than any I'd knowed,
    So I upped and I goed -
    To bad grammer I is most averse.