Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 1:29: and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

for the first sentence,i don't know what is the meaning of "created he him",
and the second sentence,i don't know what is the difference between "in which" and "in the which".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, zzzusi:hi:.

'Created he him' means 'He created him'. This sort of inversion is common in the King James version of the Bible.

In modern English we would say 'in which', not 'in the which' – another archaism.

I recommend that you read a more modern translation of the Bible, or if you have to study the King James version, keep one to hand to compare the two.

Always capitalise I and the first word of every sentence.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would echo Rover's advice to read a more updated version of the Bible, in modern English. There is no reason to read it (or any other book) in the original archaic version in the first instance. Although I was able to understand the meaning of the two sentences you posted, I had to read both of them several times and practically translate them into modern English. I would lose patience very quickly trying to read something that I even had to translate into my own language!

To be fair, there are somewhere in the region of 31,105 verses in the Bible and I understand none of them! ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
there are somewhere in the region of 31,105 verses in the Bible and I understand none of them! ;-)
The shortest verse is pretty straightforward - John 11.35.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The shortest verse is pretty straightforward - John 11.35.

Which is frequently my reaction whenever the subject of religion is mentioned! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.