• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

communicative question

"I get impatient when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer"
    "................................."

A yes, it's hard to think of the answers.
    B yes, I wish she would hurry up

A is the answer here but I think B sound much more natural. Why is it unacceptable?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: communicative question

It's a little difficult to answer this because there is no specific natural response to the statement "I get impatient when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer." The other person could say a multitude of things in response.

If I were forced to choose one of those two, I would also choose B because of the word "impatient" in the original. That fits with saying that someone wishes the teacher would "hurry up".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

This is not a matter of English: both A and B are correct. Rather it seems they are testing your situational logic. The students are impatient not because the teacher is wasting time in class, but because they don't want to think.
    Last edited by abaka; 25-Jun-2012 at 04:11. Reason: typo, sigh

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If someone was trying to communicate that they don't want to think for themselves, I would expect them to say something like "I get frustrated/fed up when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer". Even then, I don't think that suggests that the person doesn't want to think. They might have tried very hard to work out the answer but have a teacher who regularly tells them that they are wrong, but fails to give them the correct answer.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Leaving questions open, perhaps to return to them with the answers later, is a standard technique of teaching, and should be expected as the studies advance. Students can be mystified or uncertain or even frustrated if the answer does not come to mind immediately, but impatience comes across as something quite negative.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Leaving questions open, perhaps to return to them with the answers later, is a standard technique of teaching, and should be expected as the studies advance. Students can be mystified or uncertain or even frustrated if the answer does not come to mind immediately, but impatience comes across as something quite negative.
    Perhaps, students get restless then? )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Ah yes, absolutely, as a teaching technique I get the point entirely. I just still wouldn't really associate "impatient" (in the original sentence) with "not giving us the answers" more than with "wish she would hurry up". Impatience still suggests to me that the two people having the conversation wish that the teacher would give the answers more quickly, rather than complaining that they're finding the questions difficult.