Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"I get impatient when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer"
"................................."

A yes, it's hard to think of the answers.
B yes, I wish she would hurry up

A is the answer here but I think B sound much more natural. Why is it unacceptable?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a little difficult to answer this because there is no specific natural response to the statement "I get impatient when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer." The other person could say a multitude of things in response.

If I were forced to choose one of those two, I would also choose B because of the word "impatient" in the original. That fits with saying that someone wishes the teacher would "hurry up".

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is not a matter of English: both A and B are correct. Rather it seems they are testing your situational logic. The students are impatient not because the teacher is wasting time in class, but because they don't want to think.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone was trying to communicate that they don't want to think for themselves, I would expect them to say something like "I get frustrated/fed up when the teacher doesn't tell us the answer". Even then, I don't think that suggests that the person doesn't want to think. They might have tried very hard to work out the answer but have a teacher who regularly tells them that they are wrong, but fails to give them the correct answer.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Leaving questions open, perhaps to return to them with the answers later, is a standard technique of teaching, and should be expected as the studies advance. Students can be mystified or uncertain or even frustrated if the answer does not come to mind immediately, but impatience comes across as something quite negative.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Leaving questions open, perhaps to return to them with the answers later, is a standard technique of teaching, and should be expected as the studies advance. Students can be mystified or uncertain or even frustrated if the answer does not come to mind immediately, but impatience comes across as something quite negative.

Perhaps, students get restless then? )

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Ah yes, absolutely, as a teaching technique I get the point entirely. I just still wouldn't really associate "impatient" (in the original sentence) with "not giving us the answers" more than with "wish she would hurry up". Impatience still suggests to me that the two people having the conversation wish that the teacher would give the answers more quickly, rather than complaining that they're finding the questions difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.