• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

by the non-market economy of family and community

I don't get what this means. Does it support traditional farming economy concentrated on bartering or trading, not modern style of capitalism? It seems to encourage regression in economic develpment, but I'm not sure.

is57
    ex)Fundamental to achieving progress towards sustainability is an economy that concentrates on well-being and quality of life for all. Essentially, the economy should be regarded as being linked to the livelihoods of its residents, rather than simply as the production, consumption and possession of commodities. The relationship between the economy, society and the environment needs addressing with the reconition that one cannnot exist without the others. Human life, activity and culture depend on their wider environment. At present most economic policies concentrate on the production of greater wealth often measured in terms of monetary value. This ignores the wealth created by the non-market economy of family and community and prioritizes profit rather than meeting the human needs through the production of goods and services.
    Last edited by keannu; 25-Jun-2012 at 02:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: by the non-market economy of family and community

I added the missing part, and however hard I think about it, I can't get it. It could be either nonsense or of profound meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It is saying economic measures used don't measure the economic value of domestic work. Dad goes to work in a factory and produces x widgets per day that sell for y dollars.

But Mom at home, cooking, cleaning, etc. is not counted as economic activity since there is no exchange of currency. The transaction is not valued or recorded.

I don't know what you are reading, but when I read about the need to "progress" to some new great ordering of human society, I am skeptical.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

This is just a question of a workbook that seems to be an excerpt of an economist's thoery. And you made me realize that the writer also emphasizes the importance of the working activity of families and communities in the whole economy.