• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Is this sentence ambiguous?

Commonly, if we link a candidate with a stereotype we like or venerate, we can create a favourable impression of the individual.
    Do you think that this sentence is ambiguous? Does "like or venerate" refer back to candidate or stereotype? From the context it seems that it refers to cadidate, but since "like or venerate" directly follows "stereotype", from a textual point of view, the latter makes more sense.

Do you agree that the sentence is ambiguous? (I'm pretty sure that "like or venerate" refers to "candidate", but something tells me that this sentence could have been formulated more clearly, although I could be wrong.)
    Last edited by Chicken Sandwich; 24-Jun-2012 at 17:17.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is this sentence ambiguous?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    Do you think that this sentence is ambiguous? Does "like or venerate" refer back to candidate or stereotype? From the context it seems that it refers to cadidate, but since "like or venerate" directly follows "stereotype", from a textual point of view, the latter makes more sense.

Do you agree that the sentence is ambiguous? (I'm pretty sure that "like or venerate" refers to "candidate", but something tells me that this sentence could be formulated more clearly, although I could be wrong.)
    If there is a stereotype which you like or [which you] venerate, and you associate/link that stereotype with a candidate, we can create ...

Does that help?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Yes, thank you. I though it was more obvious from the overall context that what mattered is that we liked the candidate (not so much the the particular stereotype), but apparently I'm wrong then.

Some of the slanters we've already talked about can involve stereotypes. For example, if we use the dysphemism right-wing extremist to defame a political candidate, we are utilizing a negative stereotype. Commonly, if we link a candidate with a stereotype we like or venerate, we can create a favorable impression of the individual. "Senator McCain addressed his opponent with all the civility of a gentleman" employs a favorable stereotype, that of a gentleman, in a rhetorical comparison.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    Yes, thank you. I though it was more obvious from the overall context that what mattered is that we liked the candidate (not so much the the particular stereotype), but apparently I'm wrong then.
    Yes, you are wrong.