Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Commonly, if we link a candidate with a stereotype we like or venerate, we can create a favourable impression of the individual.

Do you think that this sentence is ambiguous? Does "like or venerate" refer back to candidate or stereotype? From the context it seems that it refers to cadidate, but since "like or venerate" directly follows "stereotype", from a textual point of view, the latter makes more sense.

Do you agree that the sentence is ambiguous? (I'm pretty sure that "like or venerate" refers to "candidate", but something tells me that this sentence could have been formulated more clearly, although I could be wrong.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you think that this sentence is ambiguous? Does "like or venerate" refer back to candidate or stereotype? From the context it seems that it refers to cadidate, but since "like or venerate" directly follows "stereotype", from a textual point of view, the latter makes more sense.

Do you agree that the sentence is ambiguous? (I'm pretty sure that "like or venerate" refers to "candidate", but something tells me that this sentence could be formulated more clearly, although I could be wrong.)

If there is a stereotype which you like or [which you] venerate, and you associate/link that stereotype with a candidate, we can create ...

Does that help?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Yes, thank you. I though it was more obvious from the overall context that what mattered is that we liked the candidate (not so much the the particular stereotype), but apparently I'm wrong then.

Some of the slanters we've already talked about can involve stereotypes. For example, if we use the dysphemism right-wing extremist to defame a political candidate, we are utilizing a negative stereotype. Commonly, if we link a candidate with a stereotype we like or venerate, we can create a favorable impression of the individual. "Senator McCain addressed his opponent with all the civility of a gentleman" employs a favorable stereotype, that of a gentleman, in a rhetorical comparison.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, thank you. I though it was more obvious from the overall context that what mattered is that we liked the candidate (not so much the the particular stereotype), but apparently I'm wrong then.

Yes, you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.